(12) Emotional Roller Coasters Have Got Nothing On This

Sleep is a truly magnificent thing, though only in correct proportions.

Too little sleep can result in exhaustion.

Too much sleep can result in sluggishness.

But when you get the right amount, sleep is the most beautiful thing known to mankind.

There is this beautiful moment when you wake up naturally and feel the gentle pull to consciousness. When your mind is empty of all the thoughts, the worries, that usually plague it. Your heart feels light and for once, you are at peace.

Stiles woke up to that very feeling. Or at least, he thought he woke up to it. Laying on his side with half his sight obstructed by his pillow, Stiles felt the peace of waking up naturally.

But he knew he was still dreaming—in a sense—because the sight before him was one not possible.

"Hi, Tom," she whispered, also laying on her side but facing him. Her voice was rough, revealing that she had just awaken, as well.

Stiles felt a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he stared into her storm riddled blue eyes

Stiles felt a small smile tugging at the corners of his mouth as he stared into her storm riddled blue eyes. "Hi."

Though her face barely changed expression, he could see blissfulness clearly present in her eyes.

"Do you remember the last time we were like this, Tom?"

Stiles nodded. He did.

"The night before I was sent into the Maze. Neither of us knew if things would ever be the same again," he responded.

It was her turn to nod. "I remember laying there, holding your hand..."

With that, she gently laced her fingers with his. Despite the fact that he was pretty sure he was dreaming, Stiles' heart leapt into his throat and his breath hitched. Tingles ran down his fingertips and past his wrist like tiny wildfires as he curled his fingers around hers, gently engulfing it. He wasn't sure how her hands could be cold in a dream but they were.

"We just talked the night away," she continued and then lightly laughed. "And we did everything we could to avoid the elephants in the room."

Stiles raised an eyebrow. "Elephants? As in more than one."

She narrowed her eyes incredulously. "Well the first was the imminent farewell that we were going to say!"

Stiles nodded his head in amused agreement. "But what was the second?"

"Neither of us had the guts to really admit what we truly felt towards each other."

The mood turned somber quickly.

Neither felt the need to say anything to each other for a while.

"This..." Stiles hesitated to ask. "This isn't a real dream is it? I mean, I'm obviously not conscious at the moment but that doesn't necessarily mean this isn't really happening, right?"