New Year's (Headcanon, Brainstorming)

Oh, look. Another holiday Finn wasn't warned about.

Only this time, it was a lot worse. 

The first of the celebratory fireworks went off just as he was walking into the house. They sounded like gunshots and battle instinct took over Finn.

He had to be told over twelve times that there were no guns involved in the night's festivities. He had to be told all this while he was huddled in a corner, staring at the door, ready to strike if need be. 

The fireworks slowly went from threatening, to just plain annoying. 

To ease the tension, Gadget gave Finn the New Year's kiss.

Multiple times, because Finn was a really good kisser. 

They made red velvet cake that actually tasted good for being made by two amatuer chefs. When the last of the fireworks died down, they made their New Year's resolutions. 

Finn's was, as expected, to not "slip up", to protect his family, and to help with Reconstruction. 

Gadget's was to finally quit saying "someday", because "someday might not happen if that's all I say it is". 

After the resolutions, the rest of the time they were awake was spent digging out the memories of their original cuddle position, before all that, and when they found it out, they stayed like that until they fell asleep.

"This is nice."

"Yeah..."

"You falling asleep?"

"Mmhm."

"Go on. I'll be around when you wake up."

"You won't go again?"

"Of course not."

"Mhm... thanks."

"No problem. Happy New Year's."

"Happy New Year's, love..."