prologue.

"LIFE WITHOUT DREAMS IS LIKE A RAINBOW WITHOUT COLOURS

"LIFE WITHOUT DREAMS IS LIKE A RAINBOW WITHOUT COLOURS."

THE MALFOY CHILDREN held their mother's hand tightly, weaving quickly between crowds in King's Cross train station. Narcissa Malfoy kept a firm grip on her daughter's cold hand, so firm that she felt as though her arm were to fall straight off if given the chance. Lucius Malfoy lingered back from the three but followed them nevertheless, looking around with a curl in his lip and one eyebrow raised. A small, yet sudden, tug on her hand blinked Narcissa back into reality, looking down at her daughter. "Do... do we just run at the wall?" The small girl next to her asked eyes big and bright, flicking between her brother, mother, and the wall.

"Yes, dear. You too, Draco."

One by one, the twins and their parents ran through the wall and emerged onto the platform, eyes glowing from the colours and sounds that enveloped their senses. Growing up in Malfoy manor, the children had not been exposed to many colours; something that never had bothered Draco, but settled roughly within his sister, Madeleine. She wanted to experience it all. She wanted to run and feel the rain and wind through her fingers, and pierce her eyesight with every colour that had been invented.

A sudden flash of ginger crossed her eye line and her eyes lit up, having never really seen the colour before, and definitely not on someone's head. Madeleine found herself tugging her hand away from her mother and running after the colour, not wanting to let it disappear from her sight. Just as she was about to tug on the person's knit jumper, someone grabbed her hand and roughly pulled her back. Madeleine looked up at her father's cold glare, flinching slightly when he slapped her hand. She let her arm drop to her side and walked back to her mother, feeling her stomach curling at the denial of colour.

She did not pay attention after that, not even when they were saying goodbyes to their parents. She simply hugged her mother and muttered responses to her words before turning and grabbing Draco's hand, leading them to the train. Once they got on securely, they walked through the carriages, eventually settling in an empty compartment and stared at each other.

Draco broke the silence first. "Do you think Crabbe and Goyle will be here anytime soon?"

Madeleine stared at him for a few seconds before shrugging, not in the mood to care about her twins' friends. She did not like them, and that was that. But, Draco was bored, she was bored, and the platform was slowly emptying out. Even if she did not like them, they would make the compartment less silent and provide entertainment, even if it was horrific.

She was about to suggest that he leave to find them when the compartment door suddenly opened, a small voice sounding from the doorway. They both looked at the girl standing there, taking in her appearance. She was small and had scars twisting around her hands. Madeleine felt her eyebrow quirk at them. She also had brown hair and a bright yellow jumper on, leaving Madeleine biting back a smile. "Do you mind if I join you?"

"Of course! Please, do come in. I love your jumper—"

"Be quiet, Madeleine," Draco stood up and pushed in front of her, sticking his hand out to the girl. "Malfoy. Draco Malfoy."

The girl clearly recognised his name as her eyes widened. "I'm Sabrina Lupin."

Draco suddenly found himself in deep thought, because he had heard that name before. Much to his dismay, his sister started talking before he could.

"I'm Madeleine Malfoy, Draco's twin. Your mother is Celeste Black, right? She was adopted into the family, right? Our mother was a Black."

Sabrina's cheeks flushed under the gaze of the purebloods, shrinking into herself slightly. "Yeah— I... um..."

"So you're a pureblood then?" Madeleine asked, still grinning, eyes flicking down to the yellow jumper every so often. Draco smirked, noticing Crabbe and Goyle standing behind the girl at the door, waiting for him. He stayed for her answer though, stood in place.

"No, half. My dad is half-blood. I don't see why it would matter though."

Draco smirked again and simply left the compartment, leaving his sister to slump into the seat and roll her eyes. Sabrina sat opposite her carefully, placing her bag down, feeling self-conscious all of a sudden around the blonde girl staring her down. She turned and looked outside the window, eyes darting over the parents waving at the train.

"What are you doing?"

Sabrina blinked a few times, looking at Madeleine before looking at the window again. "Looking for my mum."

Madeleine jumped up and pressed against the window, sighing to herself. "My mother and father have left, do you want help finding yours?"

Just like that, a friendship arose.

-

"Sabrina Lupin."

Madeleine clapped loudly for her new friend and watched with twinkling eyes as she hobbled up to the stall, giggling when the girl flinched as it was placed on her head. She watched in anticipation, feeling her twin next to her tense, also anticipating what it would be.

"Oh... a daughter of a Slytherin and a Gryffindor... very mischievous yes... you would do well in Gryffindor but there's something else... it has to be SLYTHERIN!"

Sabrina gulped and walked to the table, leaving Draco smiling. He had been deliberating over whether she would be put into Gryffindor and then fall into friendships with the blood traitor Weasley's, but she was in Slytherin and he would be too.

"Draco Malfoy."

Madeleine gave one last squeeze of her brother's hand and let it go, knowing already where he would be going. With the hat barely touching his hair, it yelled loud enough for the basement to hear. "SLYTHERIN!"

"Madeleine Malfoy."

A pit settled into her stomach as she walked up the stairs and to the chair, knowing that it was likely she would not be sorted into the same house as her brother and new friend. Sitting on the stool, she locked eyes with her brother, silently praying that he would not resent her for this.

"A Malfoy... not the typical Malfoy though... there's only one place for you... GRYFFINDOR!"

The hall fell silent and her brother's mouth dropped open. She did not even look at him and ignored how the hall erupted into whispers, instead getting up and walking quickly down the stairs, sliding onto the bench at the Gryffindor table. She looked at everyone, a smile creeping onto her lips as colours filled her eyes, catching onto two gingers just across from her.

They grinned at each other and held out a hand each.

"I'm Fred—"

"—and I'm George."

Madeleine, who wanted to join in, shook both of their hands and grinned. "I'm Maddie."

+-+-+-+