nine.

• • •

" SIRIUS BLACK IS SOMEWHERE IN THE CASTLE ! "

• • •

"You know, of all your talents, I thought sniffing out your brother would be on the end of the list."

CELESTE SNAPPED HER HEAD toward her husband and rolled her eyes, ignoring the smile that filled her lips from his stupid remark. "Okay, well, you have a better sense of smell than me, you do it!"

He flashed her a grin and stared down the corridor, focusing his smell on the different scents that filtered around them (they were actually giving him a headache, he tried not to show how much it was pissing him off). Out of all the scents around, he could not pick up Sirius'. Despite the clumps of fur, despite the time they spent together, one would assume he would be able to do it. He couldn't. "Nothing. I can't smell him."

"Fuck!" Celeste turned and pounded her fists into the wall, letting anger overcome her. "Why does he do this? What does he gain from it?"

Remus sighed, opening and closing his mouth. He did not know what to tell her. "We'll find him one day."

"What if he finds her first?" She asked, looking over at him. She was terrified.

It was odd, really. When Celeste had first heard about Sirius' breakout, she found it hysterical. It gave her hope, oddly enough. Maybe it was because she missed him, missed his remarks, missed hugging him, missed everything about him. The thought of having him back had first given her so much joy. But, the safety of her daughter was his main priority. Azkaban changes people, they all knew that, and Celeste truly did not know what Sirius' intentions were or are. She wanted to keep the people she loved safe, and if that meant sniffing through the castle corridors looking for his ass, then so be it.

Remus looked at her, "then we do what we can to protect her."

Celeste swallowed the lump in her throat and when they declared the corridor clear, the two turned and headed back to the Great Hall.

(She thinks Remus is getting too into her head about the situation. Her daughter can protect herself if a situation arises, right? She must be able to?)

The Great Hall was silent when they walked back in, all the students led on the floor curled up together for warmth in their sleeping bags. She let out a breath, eyes moving toward where her daughter lay with her friends, letting her sight linger on her to make sure she was okay before checking on Madeleine too, who was next to what looked like the Weasley twins, also deep asleep.

"We found clumps of fur, Headmaster, but no scent of him remained." Celeste looked over as Remus spoke, staying still behind him, not letting herself come into the light of the discussion. "Would you like us to guard...?"