eleven.

• • •

" THE LESS YOU KNOW THE BETTER

" THE LESS YOU KNOW THE BETTER. "

• • •

CHRISTMAS WITH THE LUPINS was an affair that Madeleine would not forget at any point, or anytime soon. She would think about it in her sleep, when she was daydreaming in class, and when she would look at the sky.

Which, she thinks, is perfectly viable.

"You keep staring outside the window with an awkward sort of far-away longing look in your eyes."

Maddie snapped her head away from the window and looked at her brother, who was staring at her with a lopsided smile. She cleared her throat. "I was thinking."

"You can think?"

She scoffed. "I was thinking about Christmas."

"I see."

(He doesn't see. He doesn't see anything past Sabrina's head in his lap. Maddie thinks if she has to witness his love staring any longer she's going to throw up over all of them.)

"How is Mother?" She asked, voice stiff and cold. She surprised herself with the tone of her own voice, not expecting the words leaving her mouth to appear so harsh and filled with ice. "I trust you had a nice Christmas. Alone."

"She misses you, actually. We all do," Draco replied, staring at her. "I think I would go as far as to say that father misses you."

Her stomach rolled and clenched. "Do not be ridiculous." Any thought of that man even thinking about her, perceiving her or reminiscing about her makes her stomach turn. "If they were going to miss me so much I should not have been disowned."

Draco stayed silent for a few moments before opening his mouth again. But he closed it. He had nothing to say to that, he knew that she was right. Maddie did not suffer for months; spend nights crying in Gryffindor Tower and restless nights at the Lupin home just for her brother to announce that their parents missed her after they so easily got rid of her. She was not having it.

"Mads... I thought of you every single day... Mother thought of you..."

She clenched her jaw, blinking quickly to get rid of the tears from her eyes. "Stop it."

"I'm telling you the truth."

"I don't want to know, Draco, I don't fucking want to know how sad it was for you to be in that manor and to be safe," She spoke slowly, staring directly into his eyes, voice cracking with every other word. "I do not care to know."

"You were safe too, were you not? We assumed you were, considering your company."

She nodded.

"That's all I care about."