chapter 19

We were at yet another banquet, this was the fourth one.

Charles reached for my hand.

"Henry I want you to meet my wife and the queen." charles said.

I walked over to where they were placing my small hands in his. I smiled at the man.

"katherine honey this is Henry, he is one of our war teachers." i smiled and nodded.

"it is very nice to meet you." i said.

"likewise." Henry said.

"Furthermore I wanted you to meet my wife because she is to, skilled at fighting and i was thinking maybe if you don't mind her sitting in and helping with the training of our young warriors." he said.

My mouth hung open. why would he do that for me?

"of couse I wouldn't mind at all." he smiled at me.

"But first we have to put your skills to the test." Henry said. i laughed nodding.

his face was serious.

"oh. your serious." i said. he nodded.

"when?" i asked.

"Now in front of everyone." he said.

"I dont-"

"Great lets do this." charles said squeezing me tight to him.

I looked at him and he smiled.

"Come on it'll be great." Charles said.

I nodded.

"Let's get you changed." He said. I nodded.

I was in clothing appropriate for fighting, everyone looked at me as I grabbed the sword.

Murmurs went on throughout the crowd. I started getting nervous I closed my eyes and felt a hand touch my back.

"You got this ignore what everyone else is saying okay." I nodded.

Charles whispered in my ear.

"I'm betting on you."

How can someone be so mean to you one day and then nice the other.

I drew my sword facing Henry. You got this Katherine was all I said.

He swung and I blocked it using my sword. He swung again and I blocked.

He smiled and began swinging faster. Where I began blocking faster. He knocked the sword out my hand. The crowd gasped.

He then charged at me I rolled over and got up grabbing my sword.

My back was turned to him and I knew that he would try to surprise attack me so I blocked him as soon as I turned around.

Cling, Cling, Cling, Cling.

He grabbed my wrist turned me around My back was against him. I elbowed him and he went back I turned around and tapped him with the fake sword. The crowd cheered.

He smiled and grabbed my shoulders.

"That was amazing." Henry said.

I smiled.

"Thanks. I would love to train with you because you have great potential and it can be improved." I nodded.

Charles put his hand on the small of my back.

"She's great isn't she?" He asked.

Henry nodded. He walked off to talk with Henry. I was greeted by James.

"That's not what ladies are supposed to do. But you're amazing."

"I guess I'm not lady like." I said. He laughed.

I continued to look at the food set on the table. He followed me.

"What do you want james?"

"Only to be your friend." He said.

"Charles told me about how you just want to take his place."

"Of course he did. You don't believe that do you." He asked.

"He's my husband and King. I believe everything he says." I lied.

"Katherine can't you see it. He's jealous he doesn't like the bond we have." He said grabbing my arm desperately wanting me to listen.

"James if your using me as some kind of ploy to get at Charles keep me out, i want nothing to do with it."

"Katherine! No I'm-"

"James I think it's best if we're not friends." I glanced over at Charles.

He was watching me carefully. I walked away but james chased me.

"Please Katherine, I really did change. I came back here to start over. I promise you I'm not trying to use you to get at Charles nor am I trying to get at Charles." I nodded.

"I have to go." I began walking away.