Bind To

Sebastian's Second Sister

Chapter 9: Bind To

••• Violet's point of view•••

"That he is our brother."
My mouth dropped.

I retreated away from Sebastian and backed up against the wall. I was too shocked to say anything.
"Why didn't you tell her Sebastian?!" Clary yelled at my brother.

He pushed himself up, into a sitting position. "I don't know..." He sounded lost and unsure, like my mind right now.

I looked to Clary and I finally understood what the other thing in her eyes was: Disgust.
My head was throbbing. "If you knew then why did you kiss me?" My hand held my head to ease the throbbing.

His black eyes met mine. "I just... I thought... It doesn't matter. Its just a title given to us. We aren't human. Their rules don't apply to us. Stupid laws about what DNA can be mixed with what. Hypocritical really, considering. We're already experiments. The rulers of ancient Egypt used to marry their siblings, you know Cleopatra married her brother. It strengthens the bloodline."

Clary looked at him with loathing. "I knew you were crazy," she said. "But I didn't realize you were absolutely, spectacularly out of your goddamed mind."

I didn't think he was out of his mind. I mean...I'm his sister and all but he must've had a good reason. He is only like this when Clary is around. Sebastian is putting on a good show, but it's not fooling me. This isn't the Sebastian I know. I kissed my brother. . . Well there's worse things that could happen. Why did we live to some of the human customs? I mean Sebastian is right we aren't human, maybe we just live by some of their laws because they seem right.

"Come on Violet." Clary signaled for me to follow her.
Sebastian looked at me pleadingly, He wanted to know what I thought. To be honest I didn't really know right now, I'll need some time. I shrugged my shoulders in response and followed Clary into her room.
She latched the door behind her and sat on the bed. I sat next to her.
"Violet, are you okay? Did he hurt you?"

Why would he have a reason to hurt me? I covered my confusion from her by shaking my head.

"I have to tell you some things," she said.
I nodded and listened to what she had to say. "His real name is Jonathan Christopher Morgenstern. While Mom was pregnant with him, Valentine experimented on him. Gave him demon blood. Thats why his eyes are black. He was brought up to be violent. Those scars on his back, they are whip marks.Valentine lashed him with a demon metal-tipped whip to remind him of the 'perils of obedience.' He has taken over Jace with a dark rune, to control him sorta. Sebastian wants to make the shadowhunters species extinct. He wants to kill every last one of us."

Every last one of us.

It rung about in my head for a moment as I processed everything.
"Why did he change his name?" I asked.

She sighed. It was typical for me to ask a stupid question, but I really wanted to know. "Because Jace's name is also Jonathan Christopher and Sebastian liked Sebastian more."

"Where did Sebastian's name come from?"

Her hand smoothed the sheets. "Umm." She tried to remember. "He 'accidentally' killed the real Sebastian, who he posed as to get into Alicante. When he got in he was able to let the wards down for Valentine."
Oh, he was that guy. Clary told me about the war, She left out most the bits with Sebastian in them though. Like the parts with the ward, she had said just a guy let them down.

Clary's face darkened before she spoke."I want you to stay with me now, in this room, wherever I am. I am not leaving you alone with him any longer. At least until this is all over."

No. "And then what?" I said to her.

She was taken aback at my outburst. "What do you mean by that?"

"Well," I began. "Will it go back to it was like before? Will I have to stay in the institute for the rest of my life? I don't want it to be like that again. I'd rather stay with Sebastian than go back to that life."

She looked at me sternly, the way mother looked at me when I asked for a knife for my fifth birthday. I expected her to lecture me about it, to call me a traitor at the least.
"I just want you safe."

Aren't I safe here? I kept that remark in my head because I didn't have the strength to argue back anymore. I just gave in. Nodding, I agreed to do as she says.

I should've just stayed at the institute. I shouldn't have run away. Then I wouldn't be in this mess right now....with feelings for my brother.