Bridge

Sebastian's Second Sister

Chapter 10: Bridge

••• Violet's point of view•••

Midnight. Clary was sleeping in the bed next to me. The pillow separating us was cold and didn't have the comforts of a person. I kept thinking back to a few nights ago, when I was in my bed accompanied by Sebastian. Clary has done a good job of keeping me 'safe' so far. I follow her around the house during the day like a puppy dog.

Every now and then we run into Sebastian. Clary unsheathes her sword and points it at him. I try not to make eye contact with any of them when they are having their little standoff. Sebastian usually just shrugs and leaves the room. I'm finding that I am starting to miss his presence, his jokes, his sweet personality. I miss having someone to love me, to hold me... I am beginning to understand how he feels. How lonely he is.

Clary goes out now and then with Jace. She makes me lock the door and warns me not to leave the room. In the hours she is gone, I get so bored. All the good books are in Sebastian's room and I can't go to retrieve them. Instead I polish my knife for hours upon end. My knife has been really shiny lately. I also draw some unnecessary runes on my arms with my stele. Sometimes I draw them on paper with a pencil, because as we know paper is too fragile to withstand the force of heavenly fire. I get that bored.

Clary shifted next to me in her sleep. I suddenly became aware of my dry throat. I carefully lifted the covers off of me and got out of the bed. I walked through the dark and into the adjoining bathroom. There was water here but nothing to contain it with. I walked out and came face to face with the door that led into the hallway.

I looked over at Clary, she was sound asleep. Being careful not to wake her I slipped out the door. Once the door closed behind me I crept along the hallway. I paused at Sebastian's door. It was shut and there was no light coming from the room. He was probably sleeping. My feet continued down the hallway. I walked down the stairs cautiously avoiding the spots that I knew would creak.

Once I made it to the kitchen I poured myself some water from the fridge. With the cup full I began to drink quietly. The house around me was quiet, I listened out for any noises. I could hear a noise coming from the lounge. It didn't take me long to figure out it was someone crying, or who was crying.

I placed my emptied cup in the sink and walked into the lounge. My eyes were adjusted to the dark by now and I could see perfectly.
Also the moon shone in through one of the windows making his pale hair gleam. I walked over and sat next to him on the couch. His head parted from his hands and he looked at me.
"What. . .how. . is this a dream again?" Sebastian's voice was weak.

I shook my head. "Why are you crying?" I noticed he was a very sensitive person, he didn't let Clary see that though.

He straighened out and wiped at his eyes. "I'm sorry."

"There's no need to be sorry," I said. " I understand."

"But you don't hate me like Clary does?"
He sounded like an insecure child. Of course I don't hate him, I don't believe in hate. He's been so kind to me, showed me love, real love. I was always the 'weak' child that had to be protected, that had to be hidden. With him he let me be who I wanted to be. I wasn't that frail thing that needed to be protected, to be babied.

I saw he was waiting for an answer. "No," I replied.
I felt the air change, there was less tension in it. He must've been nervous for my answer.
Sebastian's dark eyes reflected the moonlight, I'm pretty sure that it was reflected in my eyes too.

"Vi?" He asked.

"Yeah?"

He looked around briefly, studying the room. " Do you stil-"
The sound of someone walking throughout the house stopped him.

I stood up and moved for the door. "I have to go."
Sebastian nodded his head and lay back on the couch. I slipped out of the room and made my way back up the stairs. I walked along the hallway. Someone's hand grabbed my arm and pulled me close to them.
I looked down to see graceful long fingers that were made for slaying demons but also for playing the piano with.

"Aren't you supposed to be in Clary's room?" Jace said in a tone that I could not figure out.

I raised my eybrow and pulled my arm out of his hand. "Just getting a drink of water!" I whispered in a harsh tone, telling him to back off a little.
He scratched the back of his head and looked down at me. He was going to tell Clary if I didn't say something. "I was fine, I didn't run into Sebastian. I just wanted a drink."
Jace's face softened showing that he believed me.

"Oh, ok. Please don't do it again. If you want something just knock on the wall, I am only next door." He smiled. The smile that attracted the girls for miles. The smile that attracted Clary. Too bad I'm not attracted, I don't want Jace's mango.
I would say that he wasn't my type but I don't believe in types. They are just another form of categorizing people and be stereotypical about people who fit into that category.

People shouldn't have types, It should be more based on personality not looks.
"Violet?" Jace waved his hand over my eyes, snapping me out of my thoughts.

"I should get back to bed," I stated to him and left him in the hallway. Clary was still asleep when I entered the room. I slid back into the sheets. They were cold now, signaling that I was gone a long time.

I snuggled into the pillow and smiled as I fell asleep. Flashes of Sebastian's face came through my mind. I wondered what he was going to say before we got interrupted by Jace. I opened my eyes, unable to clear my mind to sleep. I looked around the room. There was paper scattered over the desk in the corner. I saw a piece was pinned against the wall. It had various runes drawn on it with pencil.

I remembered drawing them the previous day. The bridge rune stood out among the others. I don't know why but I felt drawn to it just as I felt drawn to him. I had a connection with him I just can't explain. Is this what being a parabatai feels like? To be weakened if the other is hurt?
My thoughts drifted off as I fell asleep.