Chapter 1: The Beach Boy

As the beginning of summer vacation slowly began to unravel like string from a ball of yarn, Valleri Delaire and her best friend Sondra decided to meet up and go to the beach the day after their graduation, (which was Saturday, to be precise), to reminisce about all of their favorite school memories before Sondra had to leave for her summer job.  Sondra had accepted a camp counselor position five hours away, which would cause her to be gone for the entire summer.  Valleri and Sondra were both heartbroken, but they had promised to write and call each other as often as possible.  Besides, both girls were ready to spend their last carefree days together enjoying every last minute of the sunshine they missed out on while trapped inside the walls of high school.

 Sondra decided it would be best if Valleri met at her house around 3 o'clock before they biked to the beach together.  Valleri quick grabbed her bathing suit, some sunscreen, and a beach towel, and quick kissed her mom goodbye before hopping onto her bike and pedaling over to Sondra's house.  Sondra, while Valleri had been away, picked up a few bubbly peach flavored drinks, a large bag of salty pretzels, and some fresh, sweet watermelon at the local grocery store for them to dig into once at the beach.  Once Valleri made it to Sondra's house safely, both girls grabbed their backpacks, (which were either full of food or towels), and pedaled to the beach as fast as their legs would take them through town, Sondra in the lead as per usual.  When they began to see the sandy beach, Valleri and Sondra quickly hopped off of their bikes and threw them into a tall patch of grass, eager to catch a glimpse of the nearby ocean.  

The girls rapidly walked a short sandy path to the beach where, finally before them, sat the ocean.  The girls both smiled at one another and ran down towards the surf, longing to feel the ocean gently kiss their sandy, hot feet. The water was a most welcome surprise, as it was the perfect temperature for an afternoon swim.  Each girl quickly took turns changing behind a polka dot print towel Valleri brought, as there were no changing rooms, or even a Porta Potty to speak of, at the beach. Once both girls had changed into their suits, Sondra spread a mossy green blanket she had brought from home across the sand, and the girls settled in for the long road of gossip and sun tanning that lay ahead.  Valleri lay on her back and stretched her arms over her head, grateful to finally be done with school. She was ready to start college and leave high school in the dust.

"So, did you hear the news about Mr. Grey?"  Sondra asked, a mischievous look in her brown eyes.  Mr. Grey had been their third grade teacher in intermediate school and was known to be a bit of an oddball, not to mention somewhat of a pervert.  

"What happened?"  Valleri asked as she slightly adjusted the straps of her red bikini, eager to hear the rest of the story.

Sondra smiled.  "I heard he was with Jackie Fischer last week, just a few days before graduation in fact."

"No way!"  Valleri exclaimed, her eyes lighting up like fireworks.  "Isn't he, like, 35 years old? Ugh, that's so gross!"

"Hey!  What can I say!  It must be love, right!"  Sondra said through a fit of snorting giggles.  Valleri started to laugh as well, wondering what Mr. Grey and Jackie, a junior at their school, saw in each other.  Soon, the peachy drinks were passed around, along with the pretzels and watermelon bits, which were quickly devoured by the girls with sand covered fingers. 

 It had been about an hour of talking before the girls decided to sit back and work on their summer tans.  Valleri rolled onto her stomach, pulled back her wavy blonde hair into a tight scrunchie bun, lay down on her stomach, and untied her bright red bikini top to let the sun evenly tan her back.  She began playing an old Beach Boys playlist on her iPod, and soon both girls were off in their own little worlds, quietly enjoying the warm sun and soft ocean waves hissing in the distance.  After about twenty minutes of tanning, Valleri started to hear a guitar playing nearby.  She just assumed it was her iPod, and simply ignored the sound.  Yet, the guitar appeared to be getting louder each time Valleri tried to forget the sound.  Valleri slowly sat up, tied her bikini again, and looked across the sand towards the noise to see a young man playing the guitar.  He looked as though he were deep in thought, stopping every so often to write in a small notebook by his feet and push his brown, chin length hair behind his ears. He was shirtless, and appeared a quite sun burnt.  Suddenly, without warning, the young boy whipped his head towards Valleri and stared directly at her.  A quick smile formed on his pout-like lips and he shot up, racing towards her, notebook in hand and guitar loosely slung over his shoulder.