Chapter 8: Another Encounter

Valleri sat down in one of the large living room chairs and waited for Davy to arrive. She stared at the old worn fabric of the chair, feeling it's velvety texture against the tips of her fingers. Outside, the sky had darkened and the rain appeared to fall even harder, blurring the windows and soaking the ground. Valleri perked up suddenly when she heard the sound of an engine in her drive way. Valleri got out of the chair and looked out the window of the front door to see a red car parked idly in her drive way. Music was blaring loudly and she could see four boys inside, their hair a floppy mess and their faces filled with smiles.
"I can't believe it." She muttered to herself, just as Davy opened the passenger side door and made his way towards her front door. Valleri backed up and hid, not wanting him to know that she had been waiting for his arrival. As the doorbell rang, she stood still for five seconds, then slowly opened the door.
"Hey Davy!" She said, peering around him to get a better look at the car. "Sweet ride by the way."
Davy beamed. "You like it? We all saved up for it. It took a while, but it was worth it."
Davy offered Valleri his arm and escorted her to the car.
"Scoot over boys!" Davy exclaimed, pushing Mickey and Peter, who were in the back seat aside to let Valleri squeeze in.
"Hi..." Valleri said sheepishly, still a little shy around Davy's rambunctious friends.
"Well hello lil lady!" Mickey said, giving her a little wave.
Peter just smiled. He was pretty squished in between the two of them.

Davy hopped back into the passenger side and Mike, who was driving, backed out of her drive way and turned towards main street.

"So... where are we going?" Valleri asked, genuinely curious, and looked around the car to see if anyone would answer her.

"You hungry, Valleri?" Mike asked, peering at her though the rear view mirror.

"A little bit." Valleri said back, still confused as to where they were going.

"Well, we're going out to eat!" Davy exclaimed, turning around and giving Valleri his signature smile, making Valleri feel as if she were about to melt. His chocolate brown eyes were wide with excitement and his hair fell at an uneven angle across his forehead.

"But not just anywhere!" Mickey chimed. "We're going somewhere special. Somewhere you have NEVER been before."

Valleri looked over at Peter, who still had his mouth shut tight, a small smile threatening to break through his straight faced composure. 

"Peter isn't allowed to say anything or else he will spoil the surprise!" Mike said, giving Peter the stink eye from the rear view mirror. Peter just smiled and winked at Valleri.  Valleri shrugged and turned her head to look out the window, admiring the California palm trees saying in the wind. She would just have to wait.

After a few more miles of town driving, Mike had finally made it to the freeway. Even though it was raining, Davy opened the window just a little bit, and a cool, rain scented breeze blew into the car, making Valleri's hair sway ever slightly. Valleri still couldn't believe that she was with Davy's friends. It was such a weird experience, that by the time Valleri had thought about it long and hard enough, they had made it to the place the boys had been talking about. 

The exterior of the restaurant screamed FUN. Literally, the outside of the place had a neon blue spray painted FUN on the top of the door. The door itself was a deep shade of red and had a window covered with gold curtains. Mike led the way, with Peter and Mickey trailing behind him. Davy hooked arms with Valleri again, and the pair made their way inside the restaurant. Once they opened the door, a bell rang, and the scent of fried food wafted though Valleri's nose. The boys were right, indeed. Valleri had never been to a place like this before. One half of the restaurant was filled with the usual tables, menus, chairs, and the occasional spilled salt or pepper shaker. But, to the right was an obstacle course and jungle gym combo. There were swings and soft mats to land on, as well as trampolines and ropes hanging from the ceiling, inviting thrill seekers and daring individuals to take a risk and explore. Valleri stood in awe.