Chapter 10: Bad Boys

It was around mid July, and Valleri had been working non-stop at the Ice Cream Parlor. There had been little time to see Davy, but she managed. Between work and home and college plans, there had been no time to do anything else she had planned for this summer. But that was all about to change.

Paul had come in late again for the third time this week, forcing Valleri to serve angry customers as fast as she could. Whenever he would come in, he would simply roll his eyes at Valleri and pretend like she wasn't even there. He would hide in the back during his breaks and not come out for almost 30 minutes. By this point, Valleri had had enough and decided to talk to her boss about him. But, whenever she tried, Cathy would be out or too busy to talk. And Valleri didn't want to bother her anymore than she needed to. Greenwood's was slowly losing money and Cathy was extremely stressed. And Valleri didn't want to mention that fact that she might have to fire one of her workers.

It was late Monday night, almost closing time, when Valleri saw them. Outside, it must have been about 90 degrees. There was a slight breeze in the air, but once you stepped outside, that heavy humid air hit you and made you feel like sinking to your knees. Valleri dreaded leaving the air conditioned building to bike home, but she was excited to go to sleep. She had tomorrow off and was excited to see Davy.

Paul walked out from the back and gave her another smirk. They had rarely talked the past couple of weeks since Valleri was hired. She was still confused as to why he even looked at her. She just rolled her eyes and smirked back. Better to confuse the enemy.

Suddenly, the front door jingled. And in stepped two boys. The first wore a black leather jacket and held a smoking cigarette in his left hand. He quick stomped it out before walking in, shaking out his matted dark brown hair in the process and giving Valleri a smile. The other boy walked in behind him, his leather boots clacking on the linoleum floor. Valleri noticed his thick, dark eyebrows first, and her eyes wandered down to his eyes, so brown they were almost black.

Paul instantly cheered up. "Hey guys! What are you doing here?" He exclaimed. Valleri had never seen this much emotion come out of him. Period.

"Just thought we would stop by. Get a scoop or two." The boy with the boots said, making quick eye contact with Valleri, then looking away. The first boy who had the cigarette walked up to Valleri, as she was closest to the ice cream, while Paul on the other hand, was closest to the register.

"Hello there." He said, peering at her name tag. "Valleri, eh? I think I heard that name in a song once."

"W-what can I get you?" Valleri stuttered. She didn't know why, but she felt extremely nervous.

The boy laughed and looked down at the different flavors. 

"Hmmm." He mumbled, eyeing each flavor carefully. "Could I get a sample of the Rosewater Crunch?" Rosewater Crunch had been a new flavor created by Cathy. It had rosewater ice cream with candy almond bits.

"Sure." Valleri said, quickly getting a spoon out. She slowly scooped out a small bit for the boy to try, then handed him the spoon.

The boy thanked her, then slowly parted his lips for the chilly cool refreshing ice cream. 

"Boy oh boy is that good." He exclaimed, looking over at Paul. Paul smiled and shrugged his shoulders. "What can I say? My boss is a genius."

The boy with the boots came over and wanted a sample too.

"So, what do you think George?" The first boy said to the boots boy, who's name was apprently George.

"That's bloody good if you ask me!"

Both boys ordered a scoop of the ice cream and paid Paul up by the register.

"So, what are you guys up to tonight?" Paul said, looking at both boys eagerly.

"Eh, probably going to a battle of the bands thing tonight. George has a new solo he wants to perform. Winner gets $50 cash!"

"Say, wanna wait till I am done with my shift. I want to go with you guys." Paul said. Both boys agreed and sat down in a booth near the door. Every so often, George would quick glance at Valleri, then look away in a flash. Valleri, feeling self conscious, wanted to close as quickly as possible. 

And finally, once the floors had been mopped, the ice cream supply checked, and the register counted, Valleri parted ways with the three boys and biked home as fast as she could. But, just when she was biking away, she heard Paul making fun of George.

"Think she's cute, eh?" Is all Valleri could hear.

She just rolled her eyes.

"Boys..."  Was all she could say. Yet, all she could think about was George's piercing eyes looking right into hers...