Chapter 5: I Spy

On Monday morning, Valleri headed out in search of something to do that day.  Since her town was so small, there wasn't a whole lot to see, but, she figured she might as well explore since she had the time. Her mom had already left for work and wouldn't be back until late at night, so Valleri had the entire day to herself.  Valleri quick had a piece of toast and some fresh strawberries before heading out on her bike.  Through town, Valleri noticed that more and more people were beginning their day as well, walking and talking and driving through town.  Valleri parked her bike next to the old town path and began hiking up the large hill towards the top.  At the top of the hill, she could clearly see the entire town, plus the ocean waves hitting the beach shore.  It was a gorgeous sight, and Valleri decided to sit down in the long grass and admire the beauty for a while, enjoying the beautiful view.

Just as Valleri was about to get up and walk back down the steep path towards her bike, she heard the faint sounds of footsteps and laughter drifting through the trees.  She hunkered down a bit and watched as the two people slowly came into the clearing, holding hands and staring intently into each others eyes.  Valleri's eyes widened, as it was none other Judy...holding hands with another man! The man had long wavy brown hair that reached down to his shoulders and thin wire rimmed glasses that made his blue eyes appear larger than they really were.  He was wearing a green, short sleeve turtleneck shirt and appeared to be infatuated with what Judy was saying. Valleri watched as the two set out a blanket and began to share a bottle of beer together. Pretty soon, the two were making out.  Valleri knew that this wasn't right, at all.  Davy didn't deserve to be treated this way...didn't deserve someone who would be this cruel.  So, with a burst of courage, Valleri stood up and yelled out.

"Hey!"  she exclaimed in anger, making her way closer to the couple in the grass. They both stopped their makeout session and looked up to see Valleri standing over them, hands on her hips.  

"Who the hell are you?"  The dude said, his hands still on Judy's waist, unsure of what was going on.  He looked over at Judy, who had a horrified look on her face.

"Shit."  Judy muttered, clearly caught.  She quickly got up from the ground, brushed her dress off, and began walking towards the trees, her hands running through her long, tangled hair. Judy turned around and walked back towards Valleri after she had had time to think,  her eyes wide and frightened.

"You better not tell anyone about this.  Not even Davy.  Your friends.  Nobody!"

"Who's Davy?"  The guy on the ground said.  Both girls ignored him.

Valleri shook her head.  "I will tell Davy!  How could you do this to him?  And this guy too, whoever the hell he is. No offense dude."

The other guy looked a little hurt and whispered, "My name's Gary you know...I have a name..."

Nobody heard Gary though, and the conversation continued between the two girls. 

"Why would you be so cruel?"  Valleri said, her words sharp like knives.

"What, you got a thing for him?"  Judy soon saw Valleri's weak point, and took the chance.  "I see how this is!  Trying to break us apart so you can get to him?"

Valleri didn't respond and instead looked down at the ground. Judy smiled.

"Well, I have news for you!  You can have him!  He's too emotional anyways.  Too...immature!  I mean, a band for crying out loud!  They'll never get anywhere! He's so delusional! The only reason I had him off to the side was because I could never break it off with him in the first place.  He's so...fragile. I was going to end it all, but he wrote that stupid song for me, and I didn't want to hurt his feelings on our Anniversary!"