Chapter 3: Friends of Mine

After leaving The Shed, Valleri decided to bike to the beach to finish the rest of her book in solitude.  She happened to have a special place hidden away among a pile of rocks that only she knew about. Once parking her bike in the weeds, she made her way along the sandy path, across the beach, and towards the rocks.  It took it bit of crawling and twisting her body in odd angles, but once she was safely hidden away behind the large, black boulders, she took out her book and removed her backpack, using it as a pillow, and nestled into the sand, not caring that when she stood up, much of the sand would end up in unwanted places.  

Valleri felt safe behind the rocks, and, with what light that seeped in between the cracks of the stones, began to finish the rest of her book.  Every so often though, a pang of jealousy would seep in, churning her stomach and reminding her of what she didn't have: Davy. Valleri knew it was wrong to think this way.  After all, you can't control who someone does and doesn't like.  After about an hour later, Valleri had completed the book. She stood up, wiped off as much of the sand on her pants as she could, and made her way to the main beach to sit and watch the tide for a while.  She had about two hours to herself before she had to make her way home for lunch.  Checking her watch, she saw it was only 10:30.  No one appeared to be at the beach.  Or so she thought.  As Valleri stared off into the distance, watching the waves reach the shore only to be sucked back into the water, she had no idea that someone was creeping closer and closer behind her.  And, without warning -

"Boo!"  A voice yelled out, grabbing Valleri's shoulders and making her lurch a tad bit forward.  Valleri jumped up while whipping her head around and punched the person square in the jaw.  The person fell back, clearly stunned, and Valleri soon realized it had been Davy.  

"Oh my God!  Jesus Davy!  I'm so sorry!"  Valleri fell to her knees and peered at Davy.  He looked crumpled laying in the sand.  But, behind his hands, Valleri could see he was smiling.

"Wow, love!  You've got quite a punch to ya.  Remind me never to scare you again."

Valleri rolled her eyes.  "How about never scaring anyone...period?  We've all got reflexes you know!"

Valleri offered her hand and helped Davy up off of the ground, peering at the new welt on the side of his face.  It was a bit red and swollen, but it wasn't...terribly noticeable.  Actually, it was very noticeable, and Valleri looked down to see that her hand was red as well.  Soon, the pain arrived, and Valleri winced. 

"Let me see."  Davy said, gently grabbing Valleri's hand and examining the red area with caution.  Valleri's stomach churned.  This time, it wasn't the sickness of jealousy inside her, but instead the fluttering of nervous butterflies that made her feel faint.

"I think we've both learned our lesson from this one."  Davy whispered, slowly letting Valleri's hand fall and, moving his own hand towards his face, softly tapped the sore spot on his own jaw.  Valleri could tell he was in pain.

"Look Davy...I'm really sorry!  I didn't know it was you and-

"Hey!"  Davy had cut her off mid sentence.  "It's alright!  I need to stop being such a jerk sometimes anyways. God.  I'm an ass aren't I?"

Valleri just smiled and rolled her eyes.  

Davy cut in again.  "I think you and I should get some ice for these injuries."

Valleri nodded and watched as Davy led the way.  He suddenly turned around.

"You could come back to my place. I've got a ton of ice. You could meet my friends, too! If you want to, that is..."

Even though Valleri had just met this boy yesterday, she already knew he had a good heart.  So, she agreed to go with him.

"I only live about a mile away, so we can walk if you want to."