Chapter 9: The Confrontation

Valleri froze in the door way. The air in her lungs seemed to disappear and she could feel a blush spread across her face.

"Uh...um...hi mom." Valleri stuttered, trying to avoid eye contact at all costs.

"Who was that? Who brought you home?" Her mom stood at the bottom of the stairs, her arms crossed and her brow furrowed ever slightly. 

Valleri had to think fast. She knew she couldn't tell her mom, even though she wanted to. But she also knew that lying would be easier, even though it was wrong.

"Well, that was, uh, my coworker's friends, yeah." Valleri said. "Seth! I told you about him, right? His friends offered to drive me home after I was caught in the rain at the beach."

Valleri's mom apparently liked that answer because she pulled Valleri in for a hug.

"I just worry, that's all. The rain is pretty crazy out there." 

And indeed it was. The rain was falling harder and harder. Every so often a burst of lightening shot across the sky. 

Valleri felt terrible about lying, but what could she do. Dating always seemed to be a big no-no in her household. And, with college on the horizon, her mom would be even more mad that Valleri had started something with a boy who she wouldn't see come September.

After Valleri's mom had had her fill of hugging her daughter, Valleri climbed the steps up to her room.

After closing the door behind her, she blew out a big gust of air.

"I can't believe that just happened!" She whispered to herself, laughing off the stress still left in her body. 

After some time, Valleri's mom called her down for dinner, which consisted of mini sandwiches and fruit slices, both equally delicious.

Valleri, tired from the day's activities, told her mom she was going to call it a day. She walked back up to her room and started to get ready for bed. After taking off her shirt, there was a loud PING on the glass of her window. Covering herself, she looked out the window to see none other than Davy standing outside. Valleri frowned at him and shook her head, slowly opening her window in the process. 

"You peeping tom!" She whispered as loud as she could over the thunder. She didn't want her mom to hear her, even though the television in the basement was turned up pretty loud.

"I'm coming up!" Davy said. He started to climb the trellis outside Valleri's window, carefully avoiding the vines growing up it's chipped painted surface.

"Hey! Give me a second! I am changing you weirdo."

Valleri closed her curtains and quick put on her pajama pants and a new shirt.

Just as she had finished putting on her shirt, Davy fell into her room, landing on his shoulder and laughing a little too loud.

"SHHHH!" Valleri said, turning around to listen for her mom. She still appeared to be watching TV.

"What are you doing outside Davy? You're soaking wet!"

"I wanted to see you, love." Davy stammered. He smiled at Valleri, melting her entire insides in the process.

"You really are crazy." Valleri said, rolling her eyes and sitting on the floor next to Davy. 

Both of them sat in silence for quite some time until Valleri piped up.

"Today really was fun. I thought it would be kind of scary to be with your friends, but they really aren't that bad."

"I'm glad you had fun!" Davy exclaimed. "It really was a good day."

Then, without warning, Davy kissed Valleri. It was a small peck on the lips, but Valleri was taken aback.

"Now, what was that for?" Valleri said, giggling.

"You just look so beautiful, love." Davy said, brushing a few strands of hair away from her face. Valleri looked into Davy's eyes, and, right as the next thunder roll boomed across the sky, they were kissing.  Soon, his arms were around her, and Valleri had her hands on his face, pulling him closer. It was an urgent kiss, one they both thought they could never fulfill.

Just as they took a quick breath to continue their kiss, the power went out. Valleri gave out a little shriek and Davy laughed, kissing her neck in the dark and private space of Valleri's room. Valleri smiled as Davy's kisses fluttered across her neck, her ears, her temples, her lips. Davy soon had his hands in her hair, and Valleri did the same, enjoying the feeling of his hands across her body, Davy's wet sweater was getting Valleri's shirt wet as well, but she didn't mind. She knew she should have given him a towel, but by then, it wouldn't have mattered. 

She was so deep in their kiss that she didn't notice her mom slowly trudging up the stairs towards her room. Valleri tried to push Davy off, and he reluctantly let go of her hips, as well as her lips, knowing that Valleri's mom was coming. 

"Goodbye love..." he whispered, tracing her lips with his pinky finger. He quick jumped out the window and landed on the ground, looking up one last time to blow Valleri a kiss. Just as her mom opened the door to her room, Valleri was looking out the window, pretending to enjoy the weather outside.

"Isn't it amazing Val?" Her mom said. "Mother Nature at her finest."

Her mom quickly kissed the top of her head, noticing her daughter's shirt was wet.

"What happened here?" Her mom asked, grabbed the wet material in her fingers.

"Ohhhh...I opened my window and a... splash of water fell down on me! Don't worry about it! I was just about to change now.

"Alright sweetheart. Goodnight. I'll see you in the morning.  I love you!" 

"I love you too mom." Valleri said, waving her mom goodbye. 

Just as her mom closed the door, Davy was back in her room again.

"What the hell..." Valleri exclaimed, but before she could get the words out, Davy was kissing her again.

And, just as quickly as he came in, he was out again like a flash of lightening, leaving Valleri flushed and out of breath.

"Well then." Was all she could say. 

What a night it had been indeed.