Chapter 6: Surprises Everywhere

Later, after Valleri had left Sondra's house and was sitting at the table, her mom suggested they go for a walk to the beach after they finished supper.  Valleri agreed excitedly.  Once the table had been cleaned off and the dishes washed, both girls began their walk towards the ocean.  It was usually shorter by bike, but it was such a gorgeous night that it couldn't be wasted sitting inside. They both walked in silence for a while, before Valleri brought up her new job at Greenwoods.  Her mom was ecstatic, happy that her daughter would be out making money that summer at a job she enjoyed.  Although it wasn't a lot, a job was a job, no matter how big or small.  

Finally, the girls had made it to the ocean.  They both sat down in the sand together and watched the waves hit the shore.  

"Did I ever tell you how your father and I met?"  Valleri's mom said, peering into Valleri's eyes.

Valleri had heard some of the story, but not the entire thing. Just bits and pieces.

"I was on the beach one day, reading in my home town, when suddenly I heard this man just singing to himself.  I looked over, and here was your father trying to come up with a song for his daughter.  He told me the whole story about Violet's mom, and from that moment on, I knew that he was the one.  I loved kids anyway, and thought that I would be able to raise Violet together with him.  But instead, and you know how this all went down...we had you, too.  And, you were, and still are, the greatest gift."

"Mom!"  Valleri said, rolling her eyes and looking away. She wasn't in the mood for mushy stuff.  Her mom wrapped her arms around Valleri and they sat together until the sun began to set.  After it had started to get dark, both girls stood up and walked back home together.  But, in the distance, Valleri could see Judy.  And with Judy was none other than Davy.  And, they were fighting.  

"Davy, we need to break up."  Judy said, holding Davy's face in her hands. "This isn't going to work anymore.  You and I just aren't right for each other. And...there may have been another.  It was wrong, and I know you don't deserve-"

"What about the song? Our countless dates?  Did that mean nothing to you?"  Davy interrupted, pulling away from Judy. "How could you be so cruel?"

Valleri, not wanting to be rude, and not wanting Davy to see her there with her mom, pulled her mom away from the now broken couple as not to be spotted.  

"Let's walk home this way.  I know a shortcut." Valleri said, pulling her mom through the trees and up the towards the road.

"I hope things work out for those two." her mom said, peering back at Judy and Davy.  

Once Valleri and her mom were home safe, Valleri excused herself, saying she was tired, and went up to her room.  She couldn't believe she saw Davy and Judy break up.  She knew that it was right for Judy to end it, but to see the hurt look on Davy's face let Valleri know that he really cared about Judy and had wanted the two of them to last longer.  Valleri looked at the piece of paper on her bulletin board that Davy had scribbled on, and decided to call him. She assumed he would probably be home with the guys anyways.  So, she went to the family telephone down the hall.  Her mom had gone outside to stargaze, and wouldn't be back for quite a while, so Valleri was alone for now.  She studied the number and carefully dialed, hoping Davy would pick up first and not one of the other guys.  After a few rings, a voice came through the line.

"Hello.  This is Davy."

Valleri's breath caught in her chest.  But, she knew she had to speak.

"Uh...hi Davy.  It's Valleri...how are you?"

Silence. 

Suddenly, Davy's voice came through the phone excitedly. 

"Hey Valleri.  I was wondering when you'd call. Things aren't the best right now.  Judy and I...we..."