ENTRY FORTY-FOUR

Hunter and I step into the rusty tin floral painted car of a Ferris Wheel. The safety bar is latched in and then Hunter stares at me with hungry eyes. Sugar’s heart skips a beat but she feels none of the fear I do. He slides over and tries to kiss us.

Thankfully, Sugar pushes him away, laughing, “Stop that now. People will see.”

However, Hunter is not one to be deterred. He pulls us into him and says, “See what I care.” Then he plants his lips on ours and kisses us deeply. Sugar clearly enjoys it far more than I do. Her heart trips up in her chest and I feel as if I’ve got tangled up in the feet of it. I feel sad, realizing this, while undoubtedly not hers, is my first real kiss. Well, the first that I can remember, anyhow.

Suddenly our feet feel as if they have lurched up through our stomach into our jaw. When Hunter finally breaks apart from me, we realize we are high in the sky, and the whole city seems to twinkle below. Sugar lets out a small gasp and clings to Hunter’s hand. It is hot.

“You ain’t scared, are ya?” Hunter laughs as I nod. With a wicked glint in his eye, Hunter starts to rock back and forth. The whole car begins to ricket, and I feel as if my heart has tumbled outside the rails. And I keep waiting to hear the splat down below.

Sugar lets out a small cry and tries to melt back into the seat. “St-st-st-stop!” she shivers but her cries only serves to encourage him more. We feel nauseous, and tears well up in the corner of our eyes, but there Hunter is laughing all the louder.

Sugar starts to hit his arm, “Stop it! Stop it!” We both begin to scream as waves of nausea bubble up from our stomach and the whole twinkling world feels like it is going to flip head over heels. And I close my eyes, and cry like the baby right before the bough breaks. 

I woke up with a start to find myself back in a bed. I hate that they know I won’t hide on them anymore just so I can secure a little comfort for myself.

[Deleted]