ENTRY SEVENTY-FIVE

I’m in the turquoise kitchen again with Sugar and the phone is ringing. As Sugar crosses over the room, I brace myself. This time I’m prepared.

The voice on the phone says: “Is that you, Eden?” and I can feel Sugar slipping away. Now’s my chance. I step in before the resident can take its place. I feel it block against me. Try to feel around the edges, but I don’t give it any room to move in.

Before the voice can give instructions, I tell it, “Do not call me again. I’m no longer under your control. I’m cured of you. So you see: it’s of no use.” My voice sounds strange in Sugar's throat and I feel elated in finally being able to master control of her body. If I can take control of Sugar’s body like this, I can control Hunters. Maybe I really can change her future.

I wait for the voice on the other end to respond but only hear a click and the dial tone instead.

I’m proud of myself so I told Fill. “I can control history you know. I can make a difference in their lives.”

He looked at me with large sad eyes, “Can you make a difference in your life?”

“No,” I replied. “That’s up to the person who is holding my memories captive in them.”

He grabbed my arm and looked me square in the eyes. “What if I hold your memories then?”

“Do you?” I gasped, hoping it was true. Not because I wanted Fill to have them, but because it would make me one step nearer to myself.

Fill shook his head and said, “Don’t be so dumb. I was speaking rhetorically.”

And then I pouted because he always knows how to make me feel like such a child.

[Deleted]