ENTRY FORTY-SEVEN

Fill and I had been walking back from the Doc’s when we heard sudden shouting and pandemonium. Up at the mouth of the hallway we could see men in padded black run past and down the corridor perpendicular to this one.

Fill looked at me, unsure what to do. Finally, he grabbed me by the hand and pulled roughly. “Come on,” he ordered.

We ran down the hallway together and wounded our way down corridors unbeknownst to me before.

Finally, we turned a corner. At the end of the hallway was a gaggle of orderlies, doctors and men in black padding perched in front of an open door. One doctor held a lifeless young bald woman in his arms. Her wrists were dripping with blue ink and red blood. I could not make out any of her features. She was as faceless and nameless as I was.

Another orderly turned and saw us. “Nothing to be done here,” he quipped to Fill.

Fill didn’t look at me for the longest time but he kept squeezing my small hand in his hot one, tighter and tighter. My fingers began to feel numb and I soon worried they would turn blue.

Finally, he whipped round and tugged me along behind him in heavy silence. Not looking at me at all and put me back in my room, wordlessly.

Like I was a ghost merely shadowing him.