The City

Rain has always been my biggest fear. I think it's my only fear. It just makes me feel so vulnerable. Every tiny little droplet shedding itself onto my warm secluded body. I would usually never go out on a day like this. But, today I had to. I was on my way to see my father who I hadn't seen in ages. I mean sure, we speak over the phone occasionally, but we haven't properly sat down and talked to each other since I moved out a couple of years ago. I'm sure he dreaded this. We planned to meet in this tiny cafe in downtown London. My father and I had been coming here since I was a child and it has been my favorite ever since even though it's quite far from my house. But, the memories are what keep me coming.

I had to park two blocks from the cafe because there had been no parking close. I braced myself for the rain I knew I wouldn't be able to stand. So, I get the black umbrella from the back of my car that has always been there just in case. I knew a time like this was going to come.

My walk to the cafe begins. It is was the most dreadful event I had endured since my mother passed last year. My thoughts are everywhere and I think I am going insane. Nothing usually drives me to feel this way. To keep my mind off of the tiny droplets beating on my umbrella, I begin to count my footsteps.

"1,2,3,4,5..." I run into a man and lose control of my umbrella, my only protection.

There are so many droplets of rain dripping on me all at once. I felt each one. This was the vulnerable feeling I was talking about. 

"Here darling." He hands me the umbrella that I had just unfortunately dropped.

My only means of security at this point was this umbrella. My eyes meet his. He has these beautiful dark brown glaring eyes, in this light, they almost seemed black, they were stunning.

"Thank you..." I begin. I then cut myself off as soon as I see those eyes. It was the only thing I could say.

"You've got pretty eyes." He lets out a giggle and a toothy smile as if he doesn't even know what to say.

"What would your name be beautiful?" He says with his thick, mumbled voice. 

"Chloe."

"Oh my" I have no idea what was meant by this. The very confused look on my face told him exactly what to say next.

He gives me the most sensitive smirk of all and says, "What a fitting name? A beautiful name for a beautiful girl."

He was so charming. I couldn't have expected it. I would have never guessed he'd be like this from the scent of the cigarette on his breath and his untamed curls. Every word he said made the smile on my face appear more and more.

"What's your..." I begin. Then, I was interrupted by a text from my dad asking where I was. I was late, which was so unlike me.

I look back up at him to tell him, "I have to go, I am so sorry." My walk down the block then starts.

He looks so confused but he makes it look so cool. I'd never seen anything like it before.

"Will I see you again sometime?" He shouts at me as I continue fading to the end of the street.

"Possibly", I say, then I turn the corner.

I get to the other side then I realize I never got his name. I should have asked but I never did. The only way I could ever know was if I went back and asked him. So, I go back around the corner to see him waiting exactly where I left him as if he knew I forgot something.

I projected my voice to say, "I never got your name."

"Matty", he said with the same endearing voice.

He then leaves me with the most enticing wink I've ever seen.

His name kept replaying itself in my mind as I walked another block to meet my dad in the cafe. Matty. Not Matt. Not Matthew. It was so unique. Just like him.

//If you wanna find love then you know where the city is//