16 - BEST FRIENDS FOREVER

"WOW, I REALLY MISSED A LOT."

Tony laughed softly around his coffee mug as he let Rhodey digest all the news. The man was back in town, so Tony decided that it was time he shook things up a little, go out to other places besides the new facility, Nicky's building, and the Walsh residence.

So he went to a little coffee shop Steve recommended to him, and he had to admit, it was just hipster enough that no one would be able to recognize him.

"I didn't think you'd remember someone that far back," was what Rhodey started with, but he followed immediately with a light nudge of his foot to let him know that he was only joking.

Tony laughed softly, shaking his head. "Yeah, I'm surprised, too, but what can I say, I'm a genius."

Rhodey rolled his eyes fondly at that, smiling and taking a sip of his coffee. Tony tried not to notice the way he sighed as he shifted in his seat, nor the cane that the man still had to use to get around sometimes, because things were starting to get better.

"You talk to Sam recently?" he asked instead, because no matter what the two men thought, he knew that they had often got together to complain about him and Steve.

Rhodey pursed his lips. "Tony, you know that it's not a good idea to talk about what you did with me, this isn't legal." After a beat, he added, "I dropped by his apartment real quick to make sure that he was okay, we've been getting a lot of heat about him just disappearing. A decorated veteran, what was Ross thinking?"

"I sometimes forget he knows how," Tony mumbled before clearing his throat, glancing around, "Anyways, in the interest of keeping us alive, let's change the subject. How exciting was Mexico?"

Rhodey laughed softly. "It was pretty fun. But we're not that young anymore."

Tony frowned, making a face. "Don't remind me, I'm losing my charm. I passed by some twenty year-olds and one of them said that I reminded her of her dad. So she called him to say hi."

Rhodey winced, clearly hiding his mirth. "That must have been very difficult for you." His tone was laced with mockery and Tony wouldn't even try to claim that he hadn't missed the man being around.

"I might have a son, so maybe this is just preparing me for my future," he groaned, slipping down slightly in his chair and Rhodey gave him a soft smile.

"I'm proud of you for sticking around," he said, "A few years ago, you wouldn't have done something like that. I know, because this did happen before. It's nice to see you trying to connect."

"That time it wasn't even real," he mumbled around his mug, "But thanks, Rhodey. I mean, it might not even be true, but he's a good kid and...I don't know, she was about to cry and she just reminded me of—" he paused, not wanting to go on.

Rhodey's expression turned sympathetic and he nodded solemnly. "It's going to be okay, Tony."

With that, the two descended into a comfortable silence. It wasn't awkward by any means, but rather the two just wanted to be quiet for some time, not always needing to fill the silence with noise, though that was a specialty for Tony.

"Tell me about the kid," Rhodey said, after they were sure they were going to be kicked out for loitering, "Because he sounds a lot like you."

Tony scoffed, shaking his head. "Why does everyone say that, he's a child, I'm not."

Rhodey licked his lips, making a whine in the back of throat. "Well..." He laughed when Tony scoffed and threw a bread crumb at him, still ducking away nonetheless, laughing as the man pouted and adjusted his sunglasses.