25 - WORKPLACE CHATTER

BIRDIE JUST WANTED TO SLEEP. She sighed as she rubbed her eyes, looking over the files in front of her, cursing as she realized just how many holes the defense could poke into what she had hoped would be an airtight case; that was what she got for trusting a pathological liar. Reaching for her phone, she called up her client, hoping that, this time, she'd tell her the truth.

"I didn't think it mattered," the young woman drawled into the phone, sounding as if Birdie was gnawing at her throat over nothing, "What should it matter?"

"Selina," she sighed, forcing herself to stay calm, "You-you tweeted extensively about how rape victims are just crying for attention, the defense is going to see this and use it against you, you should have told me."

"Why? It's not like I'm going to take it back," she replied, and Birdie massaged her temples, biting her lip, wondering why she had decided to take this case; why it had even been brought to her.

"Selina," she whispered, "I want to help you. I really do. But you need to help yourself. I need you to come down here and tell me everything that happened that day. No more lies. No more stories. Talk to me like a person, not a personality. Please."

The girl sighed long sufferingly, but agreed, hanging up without so much as a goodbye. At the sound of dead air, Birdie fell back into her seat, groaning loudly, head pounding as she realized just how hopeless this case was. The jury was going to take one look at this girl and laugh; but she deserved to get justice, even if she didn't think anyone else did.

"You look like you need a massage."

Raising her head, Birdie caught sight of Tony peering into her office, holding up some takeout and, smiling tightly as he glanced towards the empty seat in front of her desk.

"Hi, did something happen?" she asked, standing and motioning for him to sit, frowning in worry as she watched him drop the bag and hand her a coffee.

He raised an eyebrow. "Yeah, uh, Remy broke his arm."

She choked on the coffee, nearly spitting out all over her files. "What?"

"Kidding, kidding," he said, raising his hands, motioning for her to sit down, "Wow, you're really strung up about this."

She pinched the bridge of her nose, sighing. "Was there a reason why you dropped by, I have a lot of work."

For all Tony never wanted Birdie upset with him, he was still as stubborn as he always was, and he merely propped one ankle up onto his other leg, shrugging easily. "I was bored and brought you lunch, you'd think you'd be more excited to see me."

She raised her head from her hands, giving him an withering look. "Thank you for the lunch and your delightful prescence, Tony, it was just what I needed today."

He smiled, holding up his palms. "See? That wasn't so hard."

She fell back into her seat, shaking her head and glancing up towards the ceiling. "This case is such a mess, you have no idea."

"Oh? Do tell," Tony said, reaching into the bag and pulling out a burger, taking a bite and waiting expectantly.

She scoffed in disbelief, raising an eyebrow, but when he just raised his own in return, she shrugged, leaning forward and propping her elbows onto the desk.

"You told me you heard it on the news, I'm representing Selina Madsen, the TV personality?" she began, and Tony nodded, widening his eyes as a reaction. She sighed, nodding. "Yeah. So, you can imagine the frustration I'm having considering the things she has tweeted and posted and DM'ed and whatnot, not to mention the numerous times she's changed her story to both me and the police..."