Chapter XXVII

Ten months later

Staring at the picture on the screen moved something within me that had been dormant for months. A small drop of emotions resurfaced, and I stared into those beautiful eyes that had captivated me for years. Sometimes I'd sit and think how my life would've turned if I had done everything backward, and then I'd realize how every decision we make every minute changes the path we're supposed to follow.

Thinking about this caused heart-gripping pain that I had to dismiss; at least if I wanted to move on with my life

The last couple of months had been erratic, busy, and crazy. But it was because I decided to walk away that I was here now

I had finally gained my freedom and I was in the process of becoming the new CEO of the company, with full ownership of the assets. I thought about the therapies after the accident. The doctors had told me it was a miracle I was alive. They said I had more damage due to the impact my body had when I hit the concrete. It was weeks after Nate left that I was well enough to start physical therapy and that was something I hoped I never had to do ever again. After I started walking again, I decided to make a change and I got my house in The Hamptons. I spent the summer there.

I had everything I could've wanted.

Except him

Someone had told me he gone back to London a little after I regained my ability to walk, maybe with his ex-fiancé. Who knows. Although the idea made me want to hate him, I couldn't blame him. I told him it was over, and I told him to leave.

Now seeing him in this picture with his family made my heart ache. I should've been there, by his arm, smiling at the camera because this is what we fought for so many weeks.I shut the computer off, not being able to handle this any longer, and stood up to walk to the studio as I dialed the office.

Mrs. Peters answered

"Angelina, have you heard from the contractors?" I asked, trying to fish some paperwork from the desk I had at home

"Yes. They said they will be there tomorrow at noon. The executives will meet with you to finish signing the contract before they bring the contractors to the location. We need to have this paperwork done before the end of the week" she said, and I rolled my eyes. These executives that wanted to buy the lower level of my building to install a small law firm were starting to give me a headache.

"Fine. Tell them we can meet at Essence at noon to sign the contract"

"You got it boss"

~.~.~.~.~.~.

24 HRS LATER

NATE POV

Everybody seemed to be managing to mess everything up today. We were one step closer to what we wanted, and needed, and so far the blueprints for the location were delayed by an hour and that shifts things completely.

"Sir, we have a problem"

I groaned inwardly and turned around to look at the assistant.

"What is it now?" I asked with a raised eyebrow. She gave me a pained smile and looked down at the file in front of her, her cheeks going red.

Huh.

"Um, Cassidy is at home with her little one. He's sick so she's not gonna be able to make it to the meeting" she said, looking down at the folder.

"What? When did she call in?" I asked quietly. She can't do this, not now. It was too last minute

"She did about thirty minutes ago. She's asking if there any way of postponing the meeting today?" she asked with shaky voice.