XVI.i.The Prep/Charge System Combat (pt 1)

The following was written by someone who will be addressed as "Faustus". This was posted by Faustus on Apr 12, 2014 at 8:11pm. There are some things that I edited out or reworded, since the post was done within a forum, and they follow different rules than what should be followed here. Most if it, though, would still make sense here on Wattpad. Note that this is only an optional system, and really should be done if you're comfortable enough in trying a new system and want to try your hand at playing a more "professional style".

 ---

"This version of the rules is watered down and simplified for players who either feel they don't have the extra ten minutes to read the advanced version, or are already familiar with the rules for combat on this forum and just need the general gist.

Note: These rules are used universally for all combat.

'Chess is easy to learn, hard to master.'

There are a few simple rules: 

Do not play god. God is a codeword for infinite power, and power is finite here.

You will be judged not on the novelty of your tools, but your ability to checkmate the opponent. Allowed powers are ones with great precedent, such as elements, chi, light/dark, and sharp objects. It doesn't matter whether you prefer magic, psionics or bardic song.

Preps: Preps are the standard for measuring the force of an attack. 4+ prep attacks can be fatal. Coincidentally, no character can buffer up more than 5. There are three ways of increasing preps:

Charge - Borrowing from the present to pay in the future. The standard method. Preps only mature after 1 turn.

Combo - Borrowing from the past to pay now. Sometimes, that oil slick your opponent created can actually work in your favor, provided you've got a lighter...

And for God's sake note your preps at the end of any post that you accumulate them. An example is if Tony says "The fire began to glow even brighter in his hand, garnering an intense destructive force that was slowly building in his palm." then it would be noted at the bottom of a post like this:

Fireball(This is where you put how many preps): (This is where you explain exactly what is going on. Optional.)

Advantages: Advantages are exactly what they sound like; some sort of situational leverage an attack/barrier/person may have against an opponent's attack/barrier/person. They are noted as either *'s or +'s.

Ex: Lightning(1+)

Judges*: First step for any disagreement is to talk with your opponent. If and only if that is exhausted, judges can interpret and arbitrate. Know that invoking judges will shame both participants. It behooves two men to fix it between themselves. Judges usually don't read every fight post, so give some time for research.

Clarity: Have a clear idea, and convey it clearly. Weaselwords, and filling in blanks that aren't yours to fill (Just because he didn't say it was green doesn't mean you can make it blue) will not end well for you.

Victory Conditions: Death, KO, submission, and disqualification are all avenues to victory. Your opponent can be disqualified for going over the time limit several times or by breaking the rules two or more times."

 ---

* Judges are used in the forums, but I felt that I should include it in this guide anyway because some fights are done with judges here, and so I decided that it would be helpful to include Faustus' bit on what Judges should do/how they should judge.