Chapeter 2

The Game
Ava's POV

You can do this
You can do this
You are Beyoncé
You are strong and independent

I chanted my mantra in my head repeatedly. Why had I signed up for this? Oh yea, because I was failing all my classes and wasn't part of any extracurriculars. 

Doing a sport was the only way Mr. Weiner would even consider me graduating. Yes our principals name is Mr. Weiner, and his first name is Dick. 

His parents had to have been stoned when they decided that.

Me and Dick had pretty close over my high school experience. We were even on a first name basis, considering the amount of time I spent in his office. I still remember the first time I entered his office and saw his full name plastered on the plate that sat on his desk. 

'Dick Eslong Weiner ' it read. 

That was enough to send me rolling on the floor in laughter...ahh good times. Suffice to say, me and Dick saw a lot of each other after that, we grew pretty close. He yelled at me, and told me I was disgraceful and shameful, as I laughed along. 

The dynamic of our friendship was so complex and deep. I'm gonna miss that ol' Dick once I graduate.

But I digress... did I have to choose volleyball out of all the extracurriculars? I mean I easily could've chosen to be in the play! 

...wait I just had a flashback of that one disastrous time during the fifth grade play...

 I could've joined the track team!...HA as if, I just crack myself up. Ava and running are oxymorons. 

But why did I choose volleyball, one of the most dangerous sports when I had broken my nose vacuuming? Honestly how dumb was I? Oh yea I'm failing band, which is impossible to fail...that's how dumb I am.

I started to do some toe touches but they were more like knee touches (I'm that flexible) and pretty much gave up. I was sweating profusely and out of breath.

"Yo Hill, good luck, I know you'll definitely hit the ball this time." said Cameron, one of my best friends, "you should become a gymnast with that flexibility." He joked.

"Nahh I'd probably break my vagina while doing a split," I replied.

"This is wh-" Cameron started but was cut off by the warning whistle of the referee for the 3rd time who looked murderously at us. He was definitely about to lose his shit. And that was something I soooo wanted to see.

"Geez don't get your panties in a twist," Cameron replied. Me and Cam were pretty much exact replicas. We were both the unathletic, failing all our classes and we both loved to see people lose their shit.

"Damn teenagers bout to get cut." I heard the ref, mumble his face red with anger. I knew that with just one more comment all his anger would spill out. But I decided to be the bigger person, and keep quiet. I walked to my spot on the floor and awaited the deadly game.

I'd just try to dodge the volleyball, like I always did. UGHH why was life so hard? Why couldn't I just be a professional Netflix watcher? Or an ice cream taster? Or a moral support coach for pandas?

I looked up to see my parents in the bleachers the only parents that wore toothy smiles and seemed happy to be here.
"WE LOVE YOU SWEETIE, SMILE FOR A PICTURE!" They screamed to me. They wore matching green sweaters with a picture of my face as a cabbage plastered on the front. In the back it said "oh kale yea". I stifled my laugh, how could they be so blessed with puniness?

I loved them, they were my role models. I wished one day I could treat my kids like they did...they were like another level of legend, they were like...Barney Stinson

The referee blew brought down his hand and the game was on. I leaped and dived to not catch the ball. If not playing volleyball was a sport I'd kick ass at it...ugh such a shame. Seriously why did life mock me?

*****

Finally, during the last set of games I was able to breathe again. Today was the last volleyball game ever, and then I was out of school in a few days. No need to pass another fake bitch again in the hallway, or do anything athletic for the rest of my life. The only disappointment would be missing my daily hang out sessions with Dick in the office (it's where this cool kids hang). Would it be out of line to see if he wanted to grab coffee with me outside of school? Probably not.

Life was treating me pretty well I had to say...and as I thought this I could just see a white ball sailing towards my face.

It really sucked that my reaction time was so slow.

I could feel a sharp pain shooting through my face as the background noises faded into silence. The last thing I remember seeing were captivating green eyes staring back and a woodsy mint smell encompassing me.

Oh and someone frantically slapping my face before I drifted into darkness.
*****

Hey dudes,
What did you think about this first chapter about Ava? Do you like her personality? Her friend is also quite the character, well actually her whole squad is. (AND NO AVA DOES NOT LIKE HER PRINCIPAL THEY ARE SIMPLY FRIENDS...well in her mind...he really hates her)
Btw is it just me or does their friendship remind you of Alex and Mr. Larry Tate?

Remember to vote and comment ;)