Chapter 2: Banner Girl

"Oh my God Zoey, get up and turn that alarm off I so tired of hearing it" my roommate Natalie yelled at me. I turned over still half asleep to turn it off and saw the time "Oh God I'm so late" It was 2:35 am and I should have been at practice 5 minutes ago. I knew I was going to be the banner girl this weekend and I was so disappointed but I still scrambled to get ready and ran out my room.

I finally got to practice at 2:50 am and Ava was at the door standing next to the banner, when I walked in I noticed that I was the last one to get there. "You know your mother would be so upset if I told her that dance was not your number one priority," Ava said staring me in my eyes, I looked down because she was right but dance was my top priority, this was the first time that I arrived late to practice.

Ava turned and looked at the rest of the girls "When I say practice starts at 3 that does not mean get here 10 minutes prior to start time, you need to be here 30 minutes early" she yelled. She looked at me and the banner again and I saw Taylor, our long-time banner girl look at me and smile. I rolled my eyes at her, I knew she was happy because this would be her first time dancing with the team since she joined.

"Taylor what the hell are you smiling for you and Breanna should already be up here practicing the banner routine," Ava said and Taylors face dropped "Zoey hurry up and get in your spot or leave, I don't need you holding up my practice"

I was confused because I was so sure I would be stuck on banner this week but I didn't say anything and I ran to the back and got in position. We were practicing for almost two hours, with Ava leading and she was calling some of the most difficult stands that we have but I knew I was on thin ice and could not afford to mess up. "Can you stand the rain" came on and for the first time all morning Ava didn't call it she made the co-captain Sofie step and so she could watch us. "If anyone messes up, don't say anything just grab your bag and go your not dancing this week," Ava said, we all knew she was serious. Everyone turned and looked at me but I knew I had to much riding on this one song so I ignored them I got myself into the zone.

The music cut on and two counts in I notice Chelsey was not on beat, she was going to fast and at that exact same moment Ava saw her, "Ava I-" she started to say "Get your bag and go" is all she said. Two more girls were out by the end of the song but luckily I was still there and all I had left to do was the heel stretch and I did it perfectly. I had the biggest smile on my face but no one even glanced my way "Go break while I rehearse my parts" Ava said and I ran to get water because I felt like I was going to pass out.

We all sat on the floor and watched her practice until someone started banging on the door. Avas face turned sour, everyone in the band knew not to interrupt us while we were rehearsing. "What the hell do you want Trey, can you not tell that we are busy" she yelled after swinging the door open. He stepped around her and came into the room, everyone hopped up and starting to fluff their hair when they saw him. I didn't get up because Ava didn't say we had to and she was the only person I took orders from.

He looked around the room until his eyes landed on me "why are you the only one taking a break" he asked me sharply "oh well because-" and once again I got cut off. "Trey why are you talking to my girls and yall sit back down I didn't tell anyone to get up" Ava said, "And what do you want we have a lot of work to do". He looked down at her "Lower your tone and second the band director needs you in his office now" he told her "Dolls you are done with practice for the day" he added.

Now we ain't dare to move because in this room Ava was in charge, not him and it would have been hell to pay if we left without her permission. When she saw us not move she cocked her head to the side and smirked at him before turning to us "Halftime routine practice today at five, you can go " she said. That was our cue, I got and checked the time, 6 am and I had an 8:00 class this morning.

I was so happy because I usually didn't have time to change before classes started and I had a little downtime today. "Babydoll get up here" Ava said, I walked up to her "Don't think I forgot about you being late, your punishment is to get the practice room clean I want it spotless". I should have known that I wasn't going to get any downtime. "Yes ma'am and thank you for not putting me on banner" I told her, she didn't say anything she just left.

I took a deep breath finally letting it sink in because I'm safe for now, Ava is well known for cutting you in the middle of a game so we always had to work hard. I turned on my music and started cleaning, I had to put all the props away, arrange the chairs, clean the mirrors, and so much more but I was proud of my work in the end. "Shit, it's 7:30" I got my bag, and power walked to class so I wouldn't be late.