Chapter 1

Hudson••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

                                Hudson
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Eli woke with sweat prickling the skin at his forehead. Nightmare. It wasn't anything new for this was a nightly routine. He turned to grab the glass of water, that was sure to be warm by then, from his shabby nightstand and checked his alarm clock when he put the glass back. It was 1:30 a.m.

At the same time Hudson was out in town. He went to a downtown party that night but didn't feel like staying long. He had gotten sick of all of his friends smoking and drinking and making out with girls who are too drunk to function. He walked out to the bridge and looked at the gleaming water trickle below. The blue and green of the light up signs in the distance illuminated off of Hudson face. Hudson often found himself drifting over there, he liked to look at the fish swimming below, liked to think that down there, there's a whole other world. A better world, a world where there isn't any pressure to be perfect or to be cool. He wished that he could be a part of that world instead of the one he was inevitably stuck in.

Eli and Hudson go to the same school. Sometimes it's hard to believe that Eli could have anything in common with the Prestigious Hudson James. But it's true. They both attend Franklin High School in Minnesota. Hudson probably doesn't even notice that Eli is in his honors English class.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Alright class, I expect you all read Edgar Allen Poe's 'The Masque of the Red Death.' So, who would like to start by sharing how they interpreted the story?" Mr. Flint asked enthusiastically rubbing his hands together. He was a tall, lanky man, who quite frankly seemed to have lost control of his limbs that were too long for his body, but Eli liked him, he may be a little odd but at least he was nice.

Josh raised his hand. "This aught to be good" Eli thought to himself.

"I thought that guy in the end was a total badass." Josh spoke, his voice was low and he sounded dumb whenever he spoke. Josh wasn't necessarily Eli's favorite person, actually he's probably not even in his top 200....not that Eli even knew 200 people, but that's beside the point.

"What makes you say that, Josh?" Mr. Flint sighed slightly, obviously tired of hearing Josh's interpretations for all the stories they had to read.

"Well, I mean, he killed all those people in like a minute and then just disappeared."

"I swear, he gets dumber every time he opens his mouth." Eli pondered. "How'd he even get into honors English? It's obvious he didn't understand anything about the story."

"Eli, you don't look impressed." Mr. Flint commented. Heads turned to look at Eli and he tried to avoid their gazes.

"No, sir." Eli replied sheepishly, trying to shrink in his seat.