Chapter 3

Hudson ••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••"Where the hell were you?!" Eli's mother shrilled

                               Hudson
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
"Where the hell were you?!" Eli's mother shrilled. It was unusual for Eli to hear this. Usually he was home as quick as possible. Nick was the one who usually got this scream.

"I-I uhhh." Eli panicked, shaking his hands down by his sides.

A harsh slap landed on his cheek and Eli quickly cupped his hand to the now stinging wound.

"I was talking to someone." Eli said truthfully.

His mother rolled her eyes. "Whatever. Start dinner." She ordered.

Eli promptly scampered away into the kitchen. The kitchen was outdated and was falling apart. Shelves were missing doors and drawers missing handles. They didn't get hot water in the sink anymore and multiple cracks were in the tiles.

He looked through their fridge. Multiple open beer cans were crowding the shelves and opened liquor bottles were in the door. They didn't have food in there, it was only for alcohol it seemed.

He searched the dilapidated cabinets and drawers for any food. He found a pack of pasta and some sauce.

"Spaghetti it is I guess." Eli murmured to himself as he began to make dinner.
••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••••
Hudson got home and immediately went to his room. He sat on his bed and stared at his phone. He couldn't stop thinking about Eli. He violently shook his head, trying to rattle the thoughts out of his brain.

You need to focus. You have volleyball in 30 minutes.

Hudson kept his phone close, just in case Eli contacted him, while he began to pack his bag. He made sure to pack everything he needed plus some extra things for emergencies.

With the bag slung over his shoulder he jogged down the stairs and said bye to his mom before walking back to the school.

He knew that it was a dumb idea to go home instead of just wait at the school, but he wanted to be able to talk to Eli. And that was worth it even if he is late for practice.

Walking into the gym is always a mix of emotions for Hudson. He of course feels excited to play volleyball. But he also feels dread. He dreads having to communicate with his teammates, but that's a part of being on a team.

Various voices call out Hudson's name with a little too much excitement. He looks and sees Josh and a few other boys on the team. He gives them a halfhearted wave and sets his bag down by the wall.

He slips his shirt over his head before putting on his practice shirt as well as taking his jeans off and replacing them with shorts. It always was a little awkward for Hudson to change in front of other people, but after so many years of doing so, he had gotten used to it. He would normally change in the locker rooms but seeing as he was running late he didn't want to waste any more time.