45. I Call Dibs

Jay

I felt surprisingly comfortable. I liked this place. The club was split into 3 levels. The entrance level was set up more like a bar, with lots of tables and a few seats. The music was set quite low so it was easy to have a conversation.

The level above had toilets and a cloakroom, and a couple of fast food places. It made sense if you thought about it. Filling people with greasy food meant they would be able to consume more alcohol before getting off their face drunk.

The lower level, or basement was the main section. That was where the dj was and a massive dancefloor. I could tell the music was loud down there as you could feel it vibrating through the floor. I was sure Alex would want to head that way soon.

I brought my attention back to the conversation at the table. Danny was telling a story about someone I didn't know. I pretended to listen while I took in Danny's appearance. He was really good looking. He looked like he might be part Italian, or some other mediterranean country.

He'd made me think when he was talking about having some meaningless fun. Could I imagine myself having fun with Danny?

Before Alex, I'd never really felt any sort of attraction to guys before, and I honestly didn't think I would again. I thought my attraction for Alex was just a one off, because I was so close to him. Yet here I was, finding myself imagining what it would be like to kiss Danny.

It probably wouldn't be a good idea, but I certainly wasn't going to rule it out. After all, if Alex did hook up with someone, I would need a distraction. Anything to distract me from Alex. I needed to stop thinking about Alex. He was my friend and nothing more.

I snapped my attention back to the table as people began to move.

"Come on, we're going downstairs," Alex said, finishing off his drink.

I quickly gulped down the remainder of my coke and followed them to the stairs.

"I hope you're going to dance with me," Alex said leaning close.

"You know I hate to dance," I said scowling a little.

"Ooo pleeeeease?" Alex said, giving me the puppy dog eyes.

I couldn't help but smile. He looked so adorable. "You've clearly forgotten what I look like when I dance!"

"I haven't. You look cute when you dance."

I let out a splutter of laughter. Believe me, I did not look cute when I danced.

We'd made it downstairs and further conversation would have to be put on hold. The music was deafening it was that loud. There were people everywhere, some dancing, some just jumping up and down, and some just stood around watching.

There were lots of coloured spotlights which I noticed were following some of the better dancers, so they must be actual manually operated. I also noticed that the main section of dancefloor was reacting to the touch of people's feet, much like the touch screen of a phone. Everywhere people put their feet, coloured ripples would appear, making the floor look like it was made of water. It was really cool.

Alex grabbed my hand and started pulling me towards this floor. I internally groaned.

As soon as we hit the floor Alex started to dance, and of course, he made it look effortless. Rather than dance, I just enjoyed making ripples on the floor, jumping and stomping around. Sophie joined us and we had fun seeing who could make the biggest ripples.

Within just a few minutes I noticed that Alex had attracted the attention of one of the spotlight operators, and a green glow now followed him when he danced.