- 1. Goldie -

Keep in mind that I haven't seen all of Arrow, so I've taken the elements I remember and incorporated them (while also changing a few details for the story's benefit). Also, because I rewrote and republished these chapters, some of the previous comments won't make any sense. So grateful for you all!

My boss was late for work.

Laurel Lance was never late for anything.

In fact, Laurel was usually so painfully early that I came every morning before dawn so I could start the coffee pot before everyone else got here. Laurel was crabby without her coffee.

Then again, who isn't?

Joanna de la Vega sat on my desk, blocking my view of the front door as she waited for the our boss to step foot in the building.

"She could've gotten in an accident..." Joanna mused. "Why else would she be late?"

Because she was sitting with her back to me, she missed the skeptical look I shot her. "She would've called," I insisted, pulling the TV remote out of my desk to turn on the TV mounted on the wall.

"Maybe she overslept?" Joanna slid off my desk to face me and saw my disbelieving look. "Well, why do you think she's late?"

I opened my mouth to retort, but I couldn't think of any logical reason why Laurel wasn't sitting behind her desk. "Fine," I mumbled. "Maybe she did oversleep." I could tell Joanna didn't believe that any more than I did. She started to say something, but a smooth voice cut in.

"Eva, I'm waiting for a few cases that the police will be bringing over later," Laurel said as the glass door shut behind her. "So will you keep your eyes open for them?"

Joanna leapt back. We both studied Laurel, noticing no visible injuries or obvious reasons to account for her tardiness. All business, Laurel continued: "Joanna, I need-"

"You're glowing." Joanna turned to me, holding a hand out to Laurel. "Eva, she's glowing."

"She definitely looks really happy," I confirmed, trying to hide my smile.

I expected Laurel to roll her eyes and tell us to knock it off. Instead, the headstrong lawyer's cheeks reddened ever so slightly. She ducked her head and slid into her desk, which was beside mine.

Joanna didn't miss a thing. "Spill!" She stood beside Laurel's desk, hands on her hips.

Laurel looked down at the purse in her hand, gingerly setting it down. "Last night, I kinda..." She trailed off, still staring down at the leather.

"What did you do?" Joanna prompted, looking a bit apprehensive.

"...slept with Tommy," Laurel mumbled.

"You what?!" Joanna's voice rang through CNRI, causing everyone to pause in their task and look over at her. Laurel still had the composure to glare at them all until they returned to their work. Joanna spoke, lowering her voice. "So...what did it mean?"

Laurel just shrugged and pulled out a few folders, starting to make notes in her scribbled handwriting. Joanna gave me a meaningful look that told me she'd press for more details later and returned to her desk.

Nudged by the curiosity with Laurel's love life, I pulled my phone out and opened a text conversation.

Eva: I miss you. Movie night this weekend?

I got to work, organizing the mail by employee and distributing it. A short time later, my phone buzzed.

Fiddler: Sorry. Big test on Monday to study for :(