- 15. No Vicodin -

AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH WE HAVE PASSED 19K READS AND 500 VOTES I CAN'T BREATHE *dances with excitement* YOU GUYS ARE THE BEST 😭😭😭 I had to publish this extra long chapter as a big thank you to everyone ❤️❤️❤️

Oliver hummed to himself as he made pancakes for breakfast.

Sure, there hadn't been any news on the Helena front, but he couldn't stop maniacally smiling as he expertly flipped the pancakes with a spatula.

Eva was still asleep when he gently extracted himself from her arms to get some breakfast started, and his eyes lingered on her face for a few more seconds than necessary, as if he was trying to convince himself that she was actually there.

He could still see her when he closed his eyes, the sight of her contended, sleeping face making it hard to focus on anything else. It wasn't long before he heard sleepy footsteps on the stairs, and he had to temper his grin. 

Eva was finally awake.

Rubbing her eyes with her fists as she came into the kitchen, Eva ran into the kitchen counter and stumbled. "Morning," she mumbled, grogginess lacing her voice. 

Oliver loaded up a plate of pancakes and set them in front of her when she sat. "How're you feeling?" he asked as casually as he could manage.

"Did I have a nightmare last night?" she asked, picking up her fork and looking up at him questioningly.

Did she not remember?

Oliver simply nodded, not trusting himself to speak.

"I'm sorry if you had to see that," she said. If?  "I hope I didn't disrupt you too much."

Oliver's heart sank. She didn't remember.

He gruffly cleared his throat as he put his back to her, pretending to fumble with the syrup as he got his facial expression under control. "Don't worry about it."

...

I watched Oliver as he kept his back to me, digesting my lie.

I remembered it all.

I remembered waking up from my nightmare with Oliver already beside me, I remembered how he kept saying "I've got you", I remembered falling asleep in his arms, holding him tightly as he rubbed my back.

I remembered how safe he'd made me feel.

And all of the memories screamed: CHEATER. CHEATER. CHEATER.

When he turned back around to face me, his face was perfectly neutral. I accepted the syrup from him with a sinking heart. I knew I'd done the right thing by Fiddler, but it made me feel sick to see Oliver's carefully crafted expression, a visual representation of the walls that had just gone back up.

The kitchen was uncomfortably quiet.

I'd been excited about eating the pancakes, but now I felt guilty eating them, like Oliver'd made them for the Eva who remembered, not the Eva who lied. So I just gently set my fork down beside the plate, staring at the bottle of syrup as I searched for something to say.

In my pocket, my phone buzzed, and I whipped it out, grateful for any distraction.

Calendar: Doctor's appointment

"I gotta go get ready," I mumbled, scurrying for the kitchen, avoiding running into Oliver like the plague.

Time to go get some Vicodin.

...

Oliver was starting to drive me crazy and not in a good way.

He refused to let me drive myself to the hospital, taking both of us on his motorcycle instead. Once we reached the hospital, Oliver insisted I sit in a two-person seat so he could sit with his knee, hip, elbow, and shoulder pressed against mine.