- 17. That Was Something-

I awkwardly cleared my throat. "Hey."

Fiddler didn't say anything. He just stood in the doorway of his house, looking sour as he waited for me to say more.

My stomach moved like a cat on catnip, and I was having a hard time meeting his thunderous eyes. He clenched a square glass in his right hand, filled with some sort of amber liquid.

"Fiddler-"

"How's your friend?" he interrupted. I didn't miss the nuance, and I was sure he didn't mean for me to miss it. From the state of his breath, he'd definitely been drinking for a while, not that I could blame him.

"Better." I knew if I so much as mentioned Oliver's name, Fiddler's head would explode. "I'm sorry, I'm so, so sorry that I ruined our evening, I know you-"

Fiddler held up a hand. "No, I'm sorry, for wanting to spend an evening with my busy girlfriend." He didn't wait to see how the statement affected me before retreating back into the house, leaving the front door open.

I took a moment to breathe, trying to soothe the sting in my chest.

He left the door open. That was something...right?

I just needed to avoid mentioning that I'd left to help Oliver and show Fiddler how much I wanted us to be ok. How much I needed us to be ok.

The house was completely silent as I crossed the Rubicon, quietly shutting the door behind me. The path through the kitchen might as well have been a howling wilderness as I spotted a bottle of whiskey open on the counter, almost empty. I passed it, approaching Fiddler, who was sitting on the couch, staring at the ground.

He couldn't look me in the eye.

"I'm sorry." I sounded like a broken record. "I've been busy and absent lately, and you deserve better from me."

"I sure as hell do." He still didn't look up. "But don't worry about it. Next time, I want to spend time with you, I'll just book an appointment."

I closed my eyes, trying not to lose hope. "Fiddler, please, I'm trying here."

He lifted his head. "Oh, you're trying, huh?" He got to his feet, towering over me. "Is that what you were doing when you left me in the middle of dinner to go to Oliver freaking Queen?"

Shoot.

"Oliver?" I gave a nervous laugh. "Who said anything about Oliver?"

"It's true, isn't it?" he hissed, taking a step closer, causing me to take a step back.

"Don't ask me that."

"Why not?" Fiddler was livid, his eyes practically glowing with fire.

I shrank away from him. "Because I don't want you any angrier." He pursed his lips, and I knew trying to avoid bringing up Oliver had been a moot point.

"I have a right to know."

He had a point.

As I regarded the defeat in my boyfriend's shoulders, I felt a rush of sympathy for Oliver. He was in this position every day. He had to look his loved ones' eyes and lie for their own safety.

Then I was angry with myself for thinking of him. Oliver didn't have to lie to someone he was trying to build a life with on my behalf. I was keeping his secret and helping him, and his alter ego kept putting me in awkward positions.

"Yes. I was helping Oliver."

Fiddler let out a large breath as he collapsed onto the couch. He didn't say anything. I didn't dare sit on the couch next to him, so I remained standing, waiting for him to say or do something.