- 20. Snick Snack -

It felt like I'd frozen in time, staring at the two of them, mouth open, feet immobile. 

The red outline of lips on Fiddler's neck matched the bright lipstick the girl wore, and the dark hickeys scattered between the stark color made my stomach flip-flop.

"Eva?" Fiddler started as he paused on the last step of the stairs, clearly nervous. "What are you doing here?"

"Goldie!"

Even the sound of Oliver's voice behind me wasn't enough to shake me from my trance, but Fiddler immediately pulled his arm away from the woman, nudging her away from him.

Oliver caught up with me, standing at my arm, but I didn't want to look at him, my cheeks red flushed. Why did he have to be here for this? Why couldn't he have just stayed downstairs? "What's going on?" Oliver asked, sounding wary. 

The girl beside Fiddler seemed to catch on. "Oh, this is-"

"His girlfriend," I numbly finished for her. A sharp intake of breath beside me told me Oliver understood now.

The girl had the sense to look a bit embarrassed. "I'm just gonna...go inside...let you two deal with this." She walked into the club, the clicking sound of her heels disappearing in the booming music. 

Fiddler's eyes narrowed as he regarded Oliver. "What were you doing with him?" His lips turned up into a sneer.

Oliver scoffed. "What were you doing with her?" 

"I wasn't talking to you," Fiddler snarled.

"Well, you shouldn't be-"

"Stop it!" 

Both men turned to me, and it was obvious they were itching an excuse to pummel each other. 

"Oliver, can you give Fiddler and I a moment?" 

"But-"

I shot him a look, and his eyes suspiciously darted between Fiddler and I. "Fine. I'll be downstairs if you need me." With a parting dirty look, Oliver went inside.

"Baby, let's talk about this." Fiddler took a step closer, hands raised. "I just-"

My body acted on it's own.

I stepped forward, and my right fist smashed against his nose.

"Ouch!" Fiddler's momentum carried him a tad too far. He lost his footing and rolled down the stairs, letting out grunts of pain. He came to a stop at the foot of the stairs with a groan, trying and failing to stand.

I stalked down the stairs to him, leaning down to growl: "We're done." With that, I stormed towards my car. 

"Eva, wait!" Fiddler called, but I refused to look back. 

...

It wasn't until I walked through the door of my apartment that my phone buzzed.

Thea: So sorry I missed you! A thing came up with Roy. I'll drop the jewelry off at your place tomorrow before the show.

I flung my phone onto my bed. 

There was no end to the anger. There were no tears, no sadness, only an endless volcano of seething rage. I felt like I was going to blow up the apartment just by being inside.

The bottle of pills on the bedside table caught my eye. I wrenched the top off, pouring pills into my empty palm and swallowing them without water.

...

Head pounding, I opened my eyes and sat up. 

I was on the floor of my bedroom, daylight pouring in from the windows.