- 2. Tree Hugger -

My hands froze on the pool table, and I slowly turned to face the speaker.

Muscles.

That was all I saw at first when I studied Oliver. His shoulders were broader, and his arms bulged underneath his shirt. Oliver'd been buff before, but now he looked like he belonged in a commercial about healthy eating, testosterone, and gym memberships.

"I can't believe you still remember that nickname," I replied, feeling breathless for some reason.

Oliver's lips curved very slightly as he continued further into the room, coming ever more closely to me. "Of course I remember. Never saw Speedy without Goldie nearby."

Right, he'd only really remember me as his sister's friend.

I ignored the disappointment in my chest. "If I remember correctly," I managed to say, mirroring his almost smile, "you had your fair share of nicknames too."

The humorous teasing between us faded away, leaving an awkward pause behind as we continued to size each other up.

He carried himself differently, standing straight up and down, shoulders back and chin held high. His face was as blank as copy paper, not a trace of the easy-going smile that had once been his trademark.

A boy had disappeared in that ocean, and a man had returned in his place. But what kind of man?

"The last thing I said to you..." I swallowed hard, suddenly finding it hard to voice the regret that'd been in the back of my mind for the last five years. "The last thing I said to you...was that I hated you."

Oliver shushed me, but not unkindly. "It's ok, it's in the past, Eva."

I couldn't stop the words now. "I wanted to take it back before I heard what happened, I really did, but I couldn't because-"

"Eva." I bit my bottom lip to keep from rambling. "It's ok," Oliver repeated. "That's not what I remembered when I thought of you on the island."

A pleasant tingle of soft surprise replaced the guilt. "You thought of me?"

Oliver truly did smile this time, amusement shining from his eyes. "I never took you for the sappy type."

"I'm not," I immediately countered, and he let out a little chuckle before his icy blue eyes studied my face. His intense gaze made me feel like squirming.

Feeling a bit awkward again, I stepped forward to poke his arm, raising an eyebrow in disbelief at the solid muscle underneath my fingertip. "You know, rumor has it that bodybuilding isn't super healthy."

"Neither is plastic surgery to make yourself more beautiful," he teased, not missing a beat.

Feigning a shocked expression, I placed my hand on my chest. "No, baby, this beauty's all natural."

Baby?

Where had that come from?

Oliver didn't linger on it. "Mmmm, did it take you all five years to go from annoying and immature to being all beautiful and sophisticated?"

I ignored the slight heat that formed on my cheeks. "I find countless things wrong with what you just said." He laughed his strange laugh again.

"Wow. There's a sight I thought I'd never see." Oliver and I turned towards the doorway and there stood Thea and Tommy, both laughing. Laughing at what Oliver and I had said or Thea's comment, I wasn't sure which.

"Oliver and Eva are getting along," Tommy said with the back of his hand against his forehead. The four of us laughed together, falling into a comfortable dynamic we'd never had before.