iv. tragedy

Word count: 1K

⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚: 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑰𝑽 ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:

Tadashi signaled you both over, walking to a balcony overlooking the lab. Kori walked closely by his side. You and Hiro followed behind them, occasionally brushing hands (and blushing). You then looked over at him, speaking up. "Congrats on getting in. It was a pleasure to work with you."

"And congrats to you, too," Hiro replied, intertwining his fingers in yours. You felt your face heat up, and your lips curled into a smile. You got lost in his deep brown eyes for a moment while he gazed straight back into your (E/C) ones. But then you arrived at the balcony, and he broke eye contact. You were both blushing evidently and shy grins were plastered onto your faces. You sheepishly looked down at the sidewalk, enjoying how perfectly your hands fit together like puzzle pieces.

Hiro didn't let go until he spoke, "I know what you're going to say. 'We should be proud of ourselves because we're finally using our gift for something important.'"

"No, no, I was just going to tell you that you were blushing the entire time, and you still are," Tadashi said, leaning against the railing.

"Both of you," Kori added. "I'd say you're both a fairly deep shade of carnation pink."

"I am not blushing," you and Hiro argued, accidentally speaking in unison.

"Sure you aren't," Kori laughed, and you shoved her in response. Then, your siblings sighed, smiling at you.

"Welcome to nerd school, nerds," Tadashi said.

"Or should we say, 'love birds,'" Kori suggested. You and Hiro groaned, rolling your eyes but also blushing more. You weren't even sure why you tried to deny it.

"And don't act like we didn't just see you two holding hands back there, dreamily staring into each other's eyes," Tadashi said with a smirk.

"It's funny how you two are the ones talking, Kori and Tadashi," Hiro countered slyly, regaining confidence.

"Good one," you whispered to him.

"Oh, you knuckleheads," Tadashi replied. A hint of pink was scattered across everyone's cheeks by this point.

"Hey, we, uh... we wouldn't be here if it weren't for you guys, so... you know, thanks for not giving up on us," you thanked your siblings, despite their relentless teasing. They showed their gratitude with a smile.

Then, the sound of an alarm rang in your ears. Tadashi and Kori immediately perked up, searching worriedly for the source. You all spun around and ran over to see a fire erupting from inside the building. Your siblings ran over, trying to find a way to help. They came across a woman that had just exited the building.

"Are you okay?" they asked.

"Yeah, I'm okay... but— but Professor Callaghan is still in there!" She pointed to the flaming building. Tadashi and Kori didn't hesitate to go in and help.

"Tadashi, Kori, no!" you and Hiro pleaded, concerned for their safety. As you grabbed their wrists in an attempt to stop them, they looked at the building filled with smoke.

"Callaghan's in there."

"Someone has to help."

They ran into the building, the wind blowing off their caps. You and Hiro grabbed them, breathing heavily, and looked nervously at each other before stepping towards the building.

A sudden explosion forced you both onto the ground. After the impact, you pushed yourself up so you could see more clearly, realizing that there was no way that they could make it... The building was engulfed in smoke and embers, and the entranceway was becoming less and less navigable by the second. You and Hiro stared in horror. Your eyes started watering.

"Tadashi! Kori!"

time skip :'(

Throughout the entire funeral, you and Hiro were inseparable. Your head leaned on his shoulder while you were sobbing, and his arm was around your waist, pulling you closer. The two of you were almost always sharing an embrace with one another. You thought it was a lot better to have someone like him to confide in about it.

He understood perfectly, and you gave each other a shoulder to cry on, figuratively and literally. Being in his arms made you feel a lot more comfortable, and he felt the same way. You often didn't even have to say anything, you'd visit and stay silently wrapped in his arms for a while. As of this day, Cass had gathered many close friends and family members for a memorial.

You were seated alone with Hiro, his arms wrapped around your waist. You were isolated from the other visitors in the café, perched at the top of the staircase. Your siblings' death really had a huge impact on the both of you. You've been with each other almost constantly, and it was fairly common for you to be found crying. And here you were, yet again, in Hiro's embrace, crying into his chest. He was quietly resting his head on your shoulder. After calming down a bit, you decided to speak up. Your voice was raspy from the lack of talking much in the past few days. You looked up at Hiro with glossy eyes, and he lifted his head to meet your gaze.

"A-At least...we still have e-each..other," you managed to choke out, whispering between sobs. He gave a crooked, tooth-gapped smile, wiping stray tears from your stained cheeks.

"I'm lucky I have you," he replied softly, kissing the top of your head. His grip tightened a small amount, and he began to caress your hair. You relaxed into his figure, leaning your head on his chest again, enjoying the sensation of the butterflies rapidly swarming your stomach. You let out a shaky, relieved sigh, a smile overtaking your expression— and it was sincere. For the first time since the past events, you really felt a lot better.

You wrapped your arms around his neck, hugging him once more. Then, you allowed the lack of rest to get the best of you. You drifted off to sleep to the sound of the rain against the window and Hiro's heartbeat, feeling protected and safe in his arms.