xiv. saving the day

Word count: 1.9K

⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚: 𝑪𝑯𝑨𝑷𝑻𝑬𝑹 𝑿𝑰𝑽 ⋆*・゚:⋆*・゚:

Today was the day that Krei Tech Industry's newly constructed campus was opened to the public.

"This beautiful new campus is the culmination of a lifelong dream," Krei announced to the crowd that had gathered. "But none of this would've been possible without a few bumps in the road. Those setbacks made us stronger, and set us on the path to a bright future," he toasted. The crowd cheered, but then started screaming. "What?" Krei turned around and saw Yokai within a cluster of microbots.

Yokai snaked down, catching Krei in an attempted escape. The crowd scattered as the two rose into the air. Yokai lifted the mask, revealing himself.

"Was my daughter a 'setback'?" he quoted.

"Callaghan!" Krei realized. "But you... Your daughter, that... that was an accident."

"No!" His grip tightened, making Krei groan in pain. "You knew it was unsafe! My daughter is gone because of your arrogance," Callaghan retorted. He summoned the rest of the microbots, carrying the three pieces of the missing portal. He raised them above the building.

"What are you doing?" Krei asked, looking at the portal fragments.

"You took everything from me when you sent Abigail into the machine. Now I'm taking everything from you," he spat through gritted teeth. The portal formed in the center.

"No! No! No! You can't!" Krei said. The building began to rip apart, being sucked into the portal.

"You're going to watch everything you've built disappear. Then, it's your turn."

"Professor Callaghan!" Hiro called, the team stepping into view. He dismounted Baymax and you turned off your wings, now standing next to him.

Hiro took off his helmet. "Let him go." Callaghan remained still. "Is this what Abigail would've wanted?" Hiro inquired, gesturing to the destruction.

"Abigail is gone!"

"This won't change anything. Trust us, we know," you sympathized, sharing a quick glance with Hiro. It seemed as if Callaghan eased up a bit.

"Listen to the kids, Callaghan," Krei begged. "Please, let me go. I'll give you anything you want!"

"I want my daughter back!" Callaghan fumed, flipping the mask back on. He launched an attack at the team. You quickly jumped out of the way, turning on your rockets.

"Go for the mask!" Hiro reminded, shooting off on Baymax. They flew towards Callaghan, but he dodged, gripping Baymax's foot and spinning them around. He released them shortly after, sending them flying towards the building. Baymax fell into the wall and Hiro crashed through a window, tumbling into the building.

Yokai picked up Baymax once more and slammed him into the ground. "Baymax!" the team shouted.

Meanwhile, you realized that the building was being torn apart, and that Hiro would be swallowed by the portal if the roof gave in.

"Oh, no!" You started off towards him. By then, the ceiling had caved in and he held onto a wire. Callaghan, though, wrapped his bots around your waist, pulling you back and keeping you immovable against a wall.