Mycroft: #4

Pairing: Mycroft Holmes x Reader
Song: Somebody That I Used To Know by Gotye
Warnings: this is a different style than how I usually write so let me know what you guys think

Now and then I think of when we were together

Sometimes you thought of Mycroft–very rarely, but sometimes.

Like when you said you felt so happy you could die

The way it used to be, you would be thinking of him all day.

Told myself that you were right for me

He'd rush home from work everyday, and you would be ecstatic to see him and spend the evening together.

But felt so lonely in your company

But back then, you were having an internal battle.

But that's was love and it's an ache I still remember

Looking back, Mycroft saw the signs. But he ignored them. Intentional or not, you didn't know.

You can get addicted to a certain kind of sadness

Mycroft became accustomed to the way things ran. He was used to dinner every night, a glass of wine and some small talk before bed.

Like resignation to the end, always the end

He was used to a kiss goodnight and a kiss goodbye, and he lived the rest of his life no different.

So when we found that we could not make sense

You began to feel like you were a business meeting that Mycroft simply had to go through to continue with his day.

Well you said that we would still be friends

When you finally broke it off, you pleaded to remain friends. You didn't want to forget him.

But I'll admit that I was glad it was over

To your dismay, he didn't even bat an eye. He couldn't shake the feeling that he'd finally 'finished his meeting.' He felt relieved, accomplished.

But you didn't have to cut me off

You were a wreck for a while, fighting with yourself over whether or not you made the right decision.

Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing

But Mycroft didn't have a problem. He treated it just like a sudden change of plans.

And I don't even need your love

He continued to live his life perfectly fine, like the events had never transcribed.

But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough

You remained good friends with Sherlock, so you were forced to interact with Mycroft on several occasions. He treated you like he'd never loved you, never shared a bed or laid with you.

No you didn't have to stoop so low

He took his stuff from the apartment you shared and moved somewhere else. He had no problem packing up his belongings and relocating. He didn't care about the memories made in that place.

Have your friends collect your records and then change your number

You couldn't believe he left so carelessly. He didn't argue to keep his place, just left and found somewhere better.

I guess that I don't need that though

You continued to try and convince yourself that you didn't need him. He certainly seemed to not need you.

Now your just somebody that I used to know 

Time passed, and you continued to hang around Sherlock. Your sadness molted into anger and hatred for Mycroft.

Now and then I think of all the times you screwed me over

He had you believing it was you who was the problem, you who destroyed the relationship. Why else would he be so nonchalant about the whole thing?

But had me believing it was always something that you'd done

But you were done thinking and living like that. You realized it was him in the wrong, him who destroyed the relationship.

But I don't wanna live that way, reading into every word you say

You were tired of being nice and polite, pretending that he didn't crush your heart.

You said that you could let it go and I wouldn't catch you hung up on somebody that you used
to know

You were tired of over analyzing everything he said, trying to figure out if he had any remorse. He didn't.

But you didn't have to cut me off

You tried, you really did. You wanted to be friends; but you couldn't take it anymore.

Make out like it never happened and that we were nothing

It took time to rewire your brain. You had to learn how to live again without Mycroft. It took a long time, but you made it.

And I don't even need your love

You finally didn't need him anymore. No more small talk, no more asking how he was, no more.

But you treat me like a stranger and that feels so rough

It still stung every time he treated you like he didn't know you. But it stung less and less every time. And eventually it stopped.

And you didn't have to stoop so low

You didn't feel bad or remorseful, you didn't regret anything.

Have your friends collect your records and then change your number

He made his choice, and you made yours

I guess that I don't need that though

And at the end of the day, he was just somebody that you used to know

Now your just somebody that I used to know