Chapter Two

"Who did you just say!?"

"Friedrich Kühl." I repeated myself.

I held the phone away from my ear to avoid what I knew would come next.

Lily screamed. Screamed. Like she was a teenager all over again.

"Friedrich freaking Kühl!?" She asked again.

"Sí."

I tried not to be affected by what came out of her mouth next, "I'm coming to visit you right now."

"Wow. Thanks. I knew you missed me." I said with sarcasm as I kept cutting potatoes, balancing the phone between my ear and my shoulder.

"You know I love you. But...Kühl, really?" She repeated in disbelief.

"Yeah."

"You sure?"

"Yep. Saw him with my very own eyes and all."

Her gasp reached my ears, "You're shitting me."

"I wish."

"What do you mean you wish, girl, that man is the hottest specimen walking on earth." She retorted.

I let out a sigh. "Ya sé."

"Gods, I'm so envious right now," She said. "Kühl is living right next to you. How does that feel?"

I rolled my eyes, picked up the chopping board and dropped the little potato cubes in the boiling water. "Honestly, I barely saw him once for the length of two minutes."

"Oh." She sounded disappointed.

"Yeah."

I turned towards the chicken wings, making sure they didn't catch on fire.

"Is he as hot as on those magazines?" She asked after a while. I knew she would ask me something like that, I just knew it. After all, I'd seen the guy on his freaking boxers.

My thoughts drifted back to the moment he stepped into the hallway, how toned his arms and chest were, his tall frame that didn't seem to fit on the door frame, and those eyes. Those eyes that seemed distant, but at the same time burning with an intensity that belonged to him and him alone.

"Better." I found myself saying as I placed the chicken wings on a platter.

"Really? How?" She asked curiously.

I shrugged. "I don't know, taller, rougher..." I trailed off.

Age definitely didn't play against him.

"Hmm..." She considered my answer. "And what did he say?"

"Nothing." I said.

"Nothing?" She repeated.

"He just stood there staring and then turned back to hide inside his apartment." I muttered.

Lily let out a laugh, "Well...It seems to me you managed to render our boy speechless." She joked.

"Har, har." I said, "Te crees graciosa?" You think you're funny?

"Si." She replied. "Came on Van, you know you're good to the eyes."

I almost snorted. Almost.

"Really? You're going to flirt with me next?" I joked.

Her laugh travelled through the line, "Gods no. That sounded bad even to my own ears."

I laughed.

"Seriously, he was a jackass. He closed the door on my face Lily, on my face." My voice raised by the end of the sentence and I had to clench my fist to contain the urge to go and give him a piece of my thoughts. I couldn't even believe it as I said it. The nerve.