Chapter Twenty-One

The light filtering through the blinds played behind my eyelids, waking me up.

I blinked, my eyes adjusting to the bright light.

I could hear someone moving downstairs, but my bed was so warm it felt like torture to leave it. I burrowed further under the covers instead.

An arm tightened around my waist and my eyes flew open, heart jumping out of my chest.

That's when my mind started to take notice of the hard body pressed against mine from behind. It didn't take much thought to know whom he was. In a flash all the images flashed before my eyes. The German coming into the room, the exchange of gifts, me hugging him and then they became blurry which I was pretty sure was the moment I fell asleep. And Kühl must have fallen asleep too. Beside me. Spooning me.

One of his legs shoved between mine, the hard ridges of his perfect body cushioned against my back. The arm he had thrown over my waist was too close to my breasts. Not that they minded. In fact, they seemed to be starving for his touch. I could feel heat pooling down my stomach, my body's reaction to his nearness.

For a moment I stood still, controlling my breathing, making sure the German wasn't awake. When I was pretty sure the breaths tickling the hairs at the back of my neck were deep I moved, carefully prying myself from the man at my side. His arm tightened slightly and I halted, breath catching. Then I felt his leg move and his weight pin me to the mattress. "Where are you going?"

God. His voice.

All husky and drowsy from sleep. I didn't think I'd ever get used to it. Not that I'd have any more opportunities to appreciate it.

I fought the desire to snuggle against him and turned in his hold instead, facing him. The impact of his sleepy face inches away from mine had my heart pounding against my chest. I looked into those heavy lidded amber eyes as they searched my face, stopping at my lips.

"Hey." I whispered.

"Hey." He replied.

I swallowed, "I thought you were asleep."

"Didn't mean to."

I nodded, knowing he meant he hadn't fallen asleep on my bed intentionally. Though why his words disappointed me I had no idea. I had wanted to sneak out on him, hadn't I?

The hand at my lower back lifted to pick up a strand of chestnut hair that had fallen over my cheek. His fingers grazing the soft skin there, sending a shiver through me.

"Glad I did though." He muttered under a breath. His words were so low I didn't know if he meant for me to hear.

"I should go prepare breakfast." I said.

"I'll let you change then." He said, his thumb absently rubbing the side of my jaw.

Neither of us moved for a minute. I was to busy staring at his wonderful golden colored eyes and his reddish brown hair sticking out in different directions.

Then the German moved, as if coming back to his senses. His thumb did one last sweep along my jaw before he removed the covers and got out of bed. Thankfully he was fully dressed this time, though that didn't stop my eyes from scanning every inch of his lean body as he stopped to gather his gifts.

"Meet you downstairs." He threw over his shoulders as he walked towards the door connecting to the hallway.

I nodded then realized he couldn't see me. "Yep."

He paused once he reached the doorway, hand on the door handle before turning back for one last lingering glance my way. I wondered what he was seeing at that moment. I was still in bed, the covers up to my waist and I was pretty sure my hair looked as messy as a lion's mane. I thought I saw something flash in his eyes, but before I could figure it out he had already closed the door behind him.