Chapter Twelve

Sitting at the departure lounge I watched Lily pace in front of me, her face cast down while she talked on the phone. In a white knitted turtleneck, black leggings and a pale pink winter coat thrown over them she looked very much like the new yorker I knew her to be. Her nude heels clattered against the tiles with every step as she replied something to her assistant on the phone. Her voice was lost in the constant buzz of voices inside the enclosed space.

Her flight had been delayed and after we'd been waiting here for more than an hour without any changes she'd decided it was time to make a call. I pitied the poor girl who had to wake up at the crack of down to take her call.

"Everything OK?" I asked when she finally disconnected the call and made her way to the empty seat beside me. My voice sounded strange and I cleared my throat to make the uncomfortable sensation go away.

The couch sagged under her weight as she dropped down. "Yeah. Isla said I shouldn't worry, that she'd take care of everything. She even made me swear I'd take a good nap before showing my face at the office." She turned to me with a smile, "the perks of being your own boss."

I let out a laugh. "She sounds like a nice girl."

"She's a sweetheart. None of my previous assistants were quite as effective as her. And business have been going great since she started. My schedule is full. Didn't I tell you how I almost didn't hire her at first?"

I shook my head. No.

"I did. I wasn't very sure at the beginning because she was quite reserved during the interview and I didn't think working for me would be the right job for her, but she proved me wrong. Now I'm glad I gave her the chance."

I sniffed. "I'd like to meet her next time I come to visit."

She gave my knee a squeeze, "I'm looking forward to it. Maybe the three of us could go out together. She never mentioned family or friends to me and I'm afraid she's rather lonely. Going out might help her grow her confidence and also to be more comfortable working at the office, dealing with people and also talking to me." Suddenly she looked up, her face full of animation. "Van! That's such a great idea. I should note it down for later so I can think of a nice place where we could go. It would be great to build that employer-employee bond."

I swallowed rather hard as I felt my throat closing in, but I managed to give her a smile. "That's great."

Her smile wavered and a line appeared between her brows, "Are you OK?"

"Yes." I replied, sniffing again. "I just...I think the cold did a number on me."

She stared at me as I rubbed my nose, "Shit Van. Did you catch a cold?"

"Probably?" I gave her an innocent look.

"But how...When did it happen? I can't remember a time when you weren't covered in layers of clothes."

I sighed. "I forgot my jacket on Sunday. It wasn't on my bag. I just had this yellow hoodie that didn't help much. Plus my hair was wet."

Lily shook her head. "You should go home and rest. I can't believe you didn't say anything."

"Really, I'm fine." I insisted.

The incredulous look she gave me had me reconsidering her option. "You don't look fine Van. I can wait for the plane, you don't need to be out on the cold at night. Go home. Plus what are you gonna do if you get sick huh? What are you gonna do with work?"

She had a point.

I couldn't believe I hadn't thought of that before. Shit. I was an idiot. How would I deliver the class if I could hardly speak without that uncomfortable feeling at the back of my throat?