Chapter Nine

The next day I prepared to go on a morning run after my daily glass of freshly squeezed fruit juice. It had been a while since I'd stopped running in the morning, my work schedule making it impossible for me to do so. That's why I took advantage of weekends when I could take my time and didn't have to worry about the clock hands out running me.

I took extra care not to wake Lily as I got dressed in a pair of yoga pants and matching crop top I'd bought for sale at Target a few days ago, throwing a nude cropped hoodie over it to beat the cold. December was nearing and the weather made itself known more so in the chilly early hours of the day. Maybe we would have the first snowfall in in a few days.

I was looking forward to it.

This time of the year always made me eager for Christmas time. Ever since I was a little girl I'd loved Christmas over any other holiday. While my friends were all for Halloween and costumes, I was counting the days until I could set up the pine tree in my living room. There was something about all the preparations, the lights, the decorations, the presents, the family getting together and the fireworks that was simply magical.

I was locking my door when I heard a door creak open. My head tilted in a reflex, searching for the source of the sound. 

Who could be up at this hour?

I wondered ironically, considering I stood in front of my door. On a Saturday. At 6.00am. Ready for a run.

My gaze swung to the side to see Kühl had opened his door and was now standing in the doorway, his caramel gaze trained on me.

Automatically my torso turned his way, "Morning."

He gave me a chin jerk in greeting. Progress. I wanted to pat myself in the back for the accomplishment.

His eyes studied my clothes and then raised to mine, "You going for a run?"

I looked down at my outfit making sure my underwear wasn't showing over the elastic of my pants. It had happened to me once and trust me, it wasn't something I wanted to go through again. "Uh...yes." My tone let him know the answer to his question was quite obvious. 

If he thought I was being a smartass he didn't call me out on it. Instead his gaze dropped to my outfit once more, catching for a a beat on the silver of skin that showed above my navel.

He seemed to debate with himself for a moment before he lifted a hand signaling one minute, "Stay there." He said, and then turned to disappear back inside his apartment. 

I frowned.

At least this time around he didn't close the door on my face.

Looking around the empty hallway I took a step towards his door and stopped. 

What was he doing? 

I heard the sounds of someone moving around in his apartment, and I had to fight to control myself from going in there and demanding to know what was wrong.

'Stay there.' His words came back at me.

Then something popped up in my head: How long did he expect for me to wait? And more, was I really considering it?

My eyes dropped to my clothes again noting everything looked fine. Then I shrugged. I wasn't going to stand here until he decided to come out. And since when did I do what he asked of me anyways?

On that thought I turned on the soles of my feet and began walking in the direction of the stairs. I hadn't even taken two steps when I heard his footsteps catching up to me.

"Told you to stay there."

I came to a halt in the middle of the hallway and turned to see him standing by my side. He had thrown on a pair of trainers and a military bomber jacket over the pants and tee he had on. I had to admit the colour did wonders to his eyes.