Chapter 9

Chapter 9

"Alice. Alice!" Someone is shaking my shoulder.

"Five more minutes," I plead, leaning away from the person.

"Come, darling. They want us to get off of the plane." Plane? Tiredly, I pull myself from the claws of sleep, sitting upright. The lights in the cabin are on, and people are shuffling towards the front of the plane, baggage gripped under their arms. Tom is standing, looking down at me. He has his bag slung over his shoulder, and Luke stands behind him, looking dead to the world.

Sluggishly, I unbuckle and reach down to grab my bag, realizing I didn't read at all the entire flight. After waking a couple more times during the flight, in which Tom had begun to read whatever he had in that binder of his, I had managed to fall into a fitful sleep, with no dreams, thankfully. I was going to need a nap.

"After you, darling." Tom murmurs, gesturing for me to go in front of him. I grin tiredly at his cheesy, but cute pet names he seems to give to everyone, and step out into the aisle, using the chairs to support myself.

I murmur a "thank you" to the captain, out of habit, and then continue on down the long, tunnel-like thing that leads to the building. I can hear Tom and Luke talking quietly behind me.

"Alice! Hold up!" I slow, once in the main seating area, and turn to look at Tom. He hurries over to me, pulling on a cap and keeping it low over his eyes. "Do you have a ride?"

"Uh..." I struggle to think properly for a moment. "No, I don't. I assumed I would just take a taxi."

"Well, you know what assuming does?" Luke calls to us. I roll my eyes.

"Yes, yes. Har-de-har." I cover a yawn. "Anyway, I imagine that Holly will be back from work. My boxes are supposed to be sent to her house, so all I need is my suitcase. That should be at the baggage claim..." I trail off again, the sleep deprivation really hitting me now.

"Let me give you a ride," Tom says, placing a hand on my shoulder to keep me steady, as I had started swaying a bit.

"No... no... I can't intrude like that."

"Please, my pleasure. Luke already has the car here. It won't be much for me to get you home."

I frown at him, tilting my head back to stare him down... well, figuratively, sense I can't actually stare him down. Tom stares back, not breaking eye contact. When he unconsciously, I think, slips into a slight Loki stare, I drop my gaze, shivering slightly.

"Hah!" Tom cheers quietly, taking me by my elbow. "I win."

I sigh, giving in and letting myself being led wherever.

We have just gotten our baggage and are walking to leave the terminal, when I think I hear Tom curse quietly. We stop walking, and I stop obediently by my suitcase.

Tom muttered something to Luke. I heard an exasperated sigh.

"It doesn't stop, does it?" Luke mutters. They then talk quietly for a moment.

"...can't just leave her."

"...cameras... tabloids... rumors.... separate cars..."

There is a sharp objection, and a bit more deliberation before Tom turns to me.

"Alice, darling?"

"Hm?"

"We are going to have to do some hiding from the Paparazzi, okay? I don't want to see your face on any tabloids for a while."