Chapter 39

"Ms. Monroe? Are you ready for your appointment?" I glance up, shifting in the weight in the chair. Diana gives me a comforting look, reaching over to take my hand.

"Don't worry. We'll find the right thing for the right price. Whatever you wear when you walk down the aisle, you will be beautiful."

"Thank you, Diana." We both rise to our feet and greet the woman who has walked out to meet us. I shake her hand, smiling gently.

"Hi, I am Jennifer, but everyone calls me Jenny. You must be the bride-to-be." She glances at me.

"Yep. I am." I take a deep breath. "It's nice to meet you, Jenny. I'm Alice Monroe."

Jenny is a middle-aged woman, if I had to guess, but is in good shape. Her brown hair is pinned in a bun with a pencil, and she wears a tape measure over the back of her neck. She looks like the kind of woman to be up-to-date with all the gossip, her green eyes sparkling with playful tidbits of whatever she's learned through her years.

"Well then, Ms. Alice. Why don't you tell me what you are looking for while we walk back to the dressing room."

As we walk back to the dressing rooms, I begin to explain what I am looking for. "Um, I definitely want something longer. I like sleeves, but it's not required. No neckline too low. I like the sweetheart neckline style. It needs to be classy. Nothing... slutty." I also tell her my budget, worried that it's a little low for the dresses being shown at this place.

"I am sure we can get some good choices for you to pick from." Jenny leads me to a dressing room. "I am terribly sorry, is this your mother?" She gestures to Diana.

"I'm her future mother-in-law, Diana."

Jenny grins. "That's nice of you to be here. I imagine only having one person to help you pick out a dress is less stressful than others. I've seen women come in with their entire wedding party, and they end up leaving in tears because no one can agree on what dress she should get.

"Okay, take a moment to strip down to your undergarments—we'll wait outside—and put on that robe hanging up on the hook. Then I will take your measurements to try and find a dress in your size. Because it costs less if you don't have to make alterations. It wouldn't cost you all that much, but just to be safe."

"Okay." I walk into the dressing room. I quickly strip out of my coat, jeans, and t-shirt, and put on the thin, silk robe on, marveling at the feel of the fabric against my bare skin. I then open the dressing room door, letting Jenny and Diana. Jenny takes her tape measure and begins to take my measurements and writing them on a notepad.

"Nice dimensions." She comments, making me blush. "Okay," She steps back, tucking her notebook away. "I have an idea of a few dresses. Diana, would you like to come with me to pick a few, and we can bring them in? Or would you like to come with us, Alice?"

"Um, you guys can go look. I find myself indecisive when picking things out for myself." Diana and Jenny vacate the dressing room, leaving me to sit on the chair and wonder what they will pull out for me.

*Ding* My phone alerts me of a text. I pick it up, grinning when I see who it's from.

(A/N- I am changing up my Texting font. I understand that it can be a bit confusing without it. :P)

Hello, My dove.
Tom 11:23 AM

Hi, honey. How are you doing?
Alice 11:23 AM

I'm a little tired but I'm doing well.
Scratch that; I'm very tired.
Tom 11:24 AM