Chapter One

Virgil had a secret; a big secret. This secret was one he wanted to forever remain a secret, for many reasons.

1) It was embarrassing.
2) What would the other Sides think if they found out?
3) Blackmail.

The list could keep going, but Virgil was distracted by the feeling of a huge surge of anxiety followed by a light feeling in his chest. His eyes blinked open as he woke up completely. Feeling different, he knew it had to have happened again. With all the stress going on in Thomas' life and Anxiety being, well, Anxiety, he'd been suffering from bad attack as of late. Last night in particular was horrible, resulting in crying himself to sleep.

Virgil stood on his bed, arching his back and stretching his legs. Crossing the room, he jumped onto his dresser, which contained a mirror. He sighed heavily as he looked at his reflection.

He was a small black kitten.

Smudges of purple were under his eyes and hints of it on his chest and the tip of his fluffy tail. He could thank whatever mechanism in the mind did this to him for at least making him look cool.

Virgil didn't quite understand why, but he knew how. When Thomas was overwhelmed by a certain thing one of the Sides caused, that Side was transformed into a form that wouldn't harm him. For him, it was a kitten. He wasn't quite sure if the other Sides had this condition, but he wasn't going to chance it. He'd rather keep this to himself.

He jumped in shock as a knock sounded at the door. "Hey Virgil! Are you awake?" The anxious Side, currently in the form of a cat, recognized the voice as Princey's. He immediately panicked as he knocked again.  "Virgil? May I come in? I'm asking, but I'm going to come in if you don't answer."

Virgil looked around for a place he could hide, eyes landing on the closet. He dashed over to it, beginning to climb up onto one of the shelves. Roman opened the door, just as he was able to stand on a shelf.

"Anxiety?" he called, looking around the room. "Huh? He's not in here..."

Roman looked confused as he looked around. Just as he did so, Virgil accidentally knocked down an couple of empty sketchbooks, making a crashing noise as they fell. The prince heard the noise and noticed the closet door cracked open, scowling. "Virgil, are you hiding from me, or something?"

Virgil the cat, froze in shock as he opened the closer door and stared at him in shock. "Oh my god..." he breathed, making Anxiety think he'd figured it out. Maybe the other Sides turn into creatures too? "When did Virgil get a kitten?!"

Apparently not.

He picked him up as he struggled, meowing in protest. "Good thing I'm in the mind or I'd be suffering right now," Roman said with a chuckle, petting Virgil in his arms. The cat glared at him as he was continued to struggle. "Whoa! Whoa! Calm down! I'm not going to hurt you."

Virgil paused his struggling at the sound of his calming voice. "That's it," the prince smiled, gently petting his back.

Without realizing it, Anxiety started to purr. What am I doing? he thought as he leaned into Roman's hand. This is ROMAN of all the Sides. Of course, of COURSE he would be the one to find me... I can just play this off, right? He thinks I'm a cat, so I'll behave like a real cat.

"You're adorable!" the prince gushed. "I have to show the others!"

Virgil's eyes widened. Wait, what? Oh no...