Chapter Four

The two right brain Sides gushed over Virgil as they switched out the crown for a bow. He sighed heavily, feeling his dignity in flames. Roman seemed to notice the unhappy look on his face, frowning.

"I don't think he likes it," he said, taking the bow off the cat's head. He looked through his bag thoughtfully, trying to find something that he would like. "Wait, of course! This is Anxiety's cat!"

The prince pulled out a miniature hoodie. It was black and purple, and even had Virgil's storm cloud logo on the back. Anxiety's eyes widened as he looked at it. It was absolutely perfect.

"Oh my goodness, that's puuurrfect!" Patton joked, giggling. Virgil rolled his eyes, but purred a little. He secretly loved Dad's puns, always biting back a laugh.

Anxiety pawed at the hoodie, wanting it. Roman laughed a little, crouching down to put it on him. "Hold still! I'm trying to put it on you," he said with a smile. The kitten held still as he put it on him, purring once he pulled away. "There! You look adorable!"

Virgil's skin grew warm at the compliment, seeing that it was Princey. He looked down at himself, joy shooting through him. The hoodie was a little too big, falling over his real paws to make sweater paws. He purred, jumping into the prince's lap. Putting his paws on his chest and standing up on his hind legs, he brushed his cheek against his. Roman gasped a little, but smiled and leaned into the kitten's motion. "You're quite welcome," he said, having gathered that he was thankful for the hoodie. 

Patton was covering his mouth as he took out his phone and snapped a few pictures. "This is so adorable," he said, trying to remain calm. "I have to go show Logan!"

The cardigan wearing character was gone before the prince could protest, making him chuckle. Virgil jumped down from his lap and pawed at the bag, hoping he'd understand the question. "Oh? Do you want something else?" he questioned, earning a head shake from the kitten. "Okay, do you want to know where I got it?"

Anxiety nodded, mewing to show he meant yes. "Ah, okay, it's quite simple actually," Roman said, smiling. "In the Imagination, a lot of creatures and animals wear clothes. They've often given me items of clothing for animals since I've mentioned wanting a pet in the past. I guess they gave me some things for Anxiety and the others as well."

He sat down on the couch, smiling as the cat jumped up onto his lap. Princey scratched his head as he curled up and purred. "I'm glad you've calmed down after that little attack earlier," he commented. "That was really scary."

The kitten nodded, moving closer to him. Something dawned on the prince as he did so, making his eyes widen as he gasped. "Oh my god..." he muttered. "Virgil must go through those all the time."

Anxiety's attention was immediately captured, his head snapping up to look at him in surprise. He's never acknowledged my attacks before. Maybe he didn't know about them? he wondered.

"Oh my god, I've been so stupid," he said, gently moving the kitten off his lap so he could stand up to pace. "I've probably caused some of his attacks. I should've been helping him! I'm a prince! It's my duty to protect those I care about, not hurt them!"

He looked really upset, making Virgil's heart flutter a little in his chest. He cares about me? Since when? he thought, tilting his head at the prince. Maybe he's just putting on a show... the guy is an actor.

"I've failed," Roman said, looking at his hands with despair in his expression. Those words convinced the anxious Side, making him leap to his feet and rush toward him as he sat down on the floor. "I've failed him as his friend. No wonder he hates me. I can't even do one simple thing for someone other than myself."

Virgil shook his head frantically, pawing at his arms as he hugged his knees. I don't hate you! You haven't failed me! Princey, you're such an amazing person! Stop talking like this! Anxiety yelled in his head. Unable to say any of it, he bumped his head into the prince's legs, determined to get his attention. Roman eventually lifted his head.

"What?" he mumbled, making the kitten tug on his clothing. He eventually stood up, and Virgil smirked to himself as he started leading Roman toward his room. "Where are we going?"

I've got an idea.