Chapter Ten

Roman woke up with a gasp, having found himself having a nightmare. When he woke up to find Virgil gone, it didn't help. He'd dreamt about the anxious Side being kidnapped and locked up, crying out for him to help him, and to see him no longer curled into him when he focused on the pillows next to him made him leap to his feet in a panic.

He blinked upon realizing he was holding a black teddy bear. The fact that he had it made him confused, but slightly less worried. Perhaps he got up to get breakfast or something, and gave me a bear? Princey wondered hopefully as he hurried through the halls. I'm not sure though, I won't be able to completely calm down until I see him again.

The prince skidded to a stop as he reached the kitchen, finding Patton there baking. "Oh, morning Roman!" he greeted with a bright smile. "You want a muffin? The first batch is already done! They're cinnamon applesauce flavored with chocolate chips!"

"Uh, have you seen Anxiety?" he questioned in response, heart pounding as he realized that he still hadn't seen a trance of the dark Side anywhere.

The father figure shook his head with a pout as he thought about it. "No, I haven't seem him this morning. I didn't even see him yesterday, but I'm guessing that's because you were hanging out with him," he said with a gesture towards the black teddy bear he was still holding. "You two seem to be getting close, huh?"

Roman would've blushed if he wasn't so worried about Virgil. "I guess we are, but I'm afraid I need to go to the Imagination, he must be there," the prince said, voice trailing off as he spoke more to himself than to Patton. He turned to leave hastily, but he before he could, the moral Side tossed him a muffin.

"There! Eat on your way, kiddo! You need to take care of yourself."

His warm smile didn't ease the creative Side's paranoia. He flashed a forced one back as he thanked him and hurried to the Imagination's entrance. His heart was pounding in his chest as he stepped into his realm, feeling at least a little stronger now that he was in his natural environment within the mind. He could do anything he wanted here, so he touched the ground with a flat palm and concentrated. Magic flowed from the spot, revealing glowing purple footsteps.

"He went that way," Roman murmured to himself as he swiftly set out to follow the path. It lead him through the forest closest to the Mind Palace's door to the top of a windy hill. It had a perfect view of his castle not too far away. "This must be where he paints and draws from. This view is almost exactly like one of his paintings."

He shook away the thoughts, returning to the more pressing matter at hand. Virgil's footprints had stopped, but the dark Side was nowhere to be seen. Princey began to breathe quicker, steadily working himself into a panic as he desperately searched the area for him.

A gasp of horror escaped his lips when he saw his sketchbook lying on the ground as if it had been absentmindedly tossed aside. The anxious Side was always careful with his sketchbooks. "No... no, no, no, no!" he pleaded, picking it up and clutching it and the black teddy bear to his chest as tears began to prick his eyes.

It was clear to him that his dream hadn't been a dream, but rather a vision. Virgil had been kidnapped. He knew of only one being in the Imagination that would do such a thing, and the feeling of dread filling his lungs made it slightly difficult to breathe.