Chapter Twenty-Four

When Virgil's eyes fluttered open, he was strapped to a chair in a very dark room. He scowled as he tried to look around, blinking as his eyes started to adjust. He could hear someone moving around to his left. "N-Namor?" he asked hopefully.

"I already told you," Deceit replied, grinning at him in such a way that could only be sinister. "It's not him."

The anxious Side was shaking, looking at him with wide scared as he approached him. "What... why am I tied up?" he demanded, voice wavering as he struggled a little. The snake-like Side grinned at him and moved away. "Deceit! Answer me!"

"You know, I almost feel bad for Namor," he said, a wicked sense of pride and joy in his voice as he spoke. "He's so in love with you, and he's got no idea what kind of monster you are. He's so innocent, thinking you understand him, that you'll comfort him because you two share so many similar experiences. He's no idea that you'll just abandon him the first chance you get to move up."

Virgil looked at him in confusion. "W-What are you-"

"Don't play dumb with me," Deceit snapped, whipping around to stare him down. "You know what I'm talking about."

The anxious Side stared back, realization dawning on him as he saw the hurt in his eyes. "I didn't abandon you," he said, raising his chin. His jaw clenched and then opened to speak, but Virgil continued. "You were a toxic and negative influence on me, and it wasn't my fault that Thomas got more anxious in high school. I had to move into the mind palace, and we had already broken up."

"You abandoned me!" Deceit yelled, making him look away. "You abandoned me, and that damn prince stole you away! Now this stupid, darker version of him is in love with you? I won't have it!"

He watched as the snake-like Side moved away, picking up a large clear jar. "So why don't I kill three birds with one stone?" he said, grinning maliciously to himself as he approached the still tied up Virgil. He struggled, feeling panicked as he got closer with the mysterious jar. "Namor's dreams and subconscious thoughts can be super convenient sometimes. Like this little trinket, it's perfect for this."

"What-"

"Perfect for ruining all three of you."

That was the last thing he heard before the jar began to glow and his eyelids grew heavy. The last thing he saw was the wicked grin on Deceit's face.

~

Roman looked up at the dark version of his palace, a million thoughts going through his head. Thoughts of the past, thoughts of Namor, thoughts of Virgil... all of them made him swallow hard as he approached the staircase. He placed a hand on his sword as he entered the castle.

"Namor!" he called, making sure his voice didn't waver. 

The dark prince appeared at the top of the center staircase a few moments later. He looked surprised and slightly... happy to see him? "Prince Roman! It's been so long!" he said, smiling a little as he hurried down the stairs. The creative Side drew his blade from its sheath, pointing at him with a glare as he raised his chin.

"Where is he?" he demanded.

Namor flinched, looking confused and worried as he looked at the blade and back at him. "I'm sorry?" he replied, clearly not understanding.

"What did you do to Virgil? I know you kidnapped him," Roman snapped, backing him up with the sword still pointed at his chest. His voice was lined with thinned patience and his eyes were ablaze with hatred that made the dark prince's chest constrict. "He's been missing for two days, and his sketchbook was abandoned on my side. He never leaves it lying around. I know you took him."

"I- Roman, why would I- you really think I'd do that?" he asked softly, looking down. He looked hurt, but the creative Side was too worried about Virgil to care. "I didn't kidnap him. He's here, but I'm not keeping him here by force. He can leave at any time he wants."

The prince continued to glare at him. "I don't trust you, why would his sketchbook be discarded in such a way that looked like he was forced to drop it?" he demanded.

"Because- look, I just wanted to get to know him," Namor started to explain. "I... I really like him, and I wanted to talk to him. I asked Deceit to go ask him to come here, and I told him not to do him any harm, but he disobeyed me. He knocked him out and brought him here by force, but once he came to, I made it clear he could leave. I swear on my honor."

"Where is he now then?" Roman snapped.

He opened his mouth to respond when the anxious Side himself came down the stairs with a bright smile on his face. "Hey Namor!" he said, acting completely out of character as he skipped up to him and leaning into his side. The dark prince looked at him in shock, picking up instantaneously on the drastic change in behavior. He tried to say something, but Virgil looked at Roman and let out a gasp. He moved behind him, looking terrified. "What is he doing here?"

"What?" the two princes said at the same time.