Chapter 12; The Mist

The scene slowly faded into black once more, and cram class caught a just a short glimpse of each other's faces; a mix of snotty, sobbing tears or wet eyes that were fighting to overflow. Lips trembled from the effort of either crying or holding it all in. Their ears, free from the pressure of memories, immediately picked up and roared with the sounds of choked sobs and sniffles. Nothing was okay. No one was okay. How could they be, after watching their friend get tortured? Little did they know—this was just the beginning.

Before anything could be said or done, just as the cram class had begun to collect themselves, an amused Mephisto let those dreadful colors float back into the room like poison gas—something they couldn't escape from no matter how hard they tried, no matter how much they didn't want to breathe it in. They were forced into the next heartbreaking scene without any freewill or choice in the matter, for the mist ignored their soft pleas to stop. The mist didn't care. It was ruthless. It wanted them to suffer just as badly as they had made the thing appearing before them suffer. The mist had no mercy, none at all—because when they had the chance, they didn't give mercy, either.

And suddenly, almost too quickly, Rin was occupying their field of vision.

The male was slumped in an armchair, eyes half lidded and dreary. Any veins that were visible sported a dark, sickly shade of green that almost fit into the 'black' category.

A quick glance around the room confirmed that indeed, there was a man walking towards Rin. He was pale and lanky, with sharp cheekbones and sunken eyes. His hair was an oily black, matching the insomnia marks under his eyes. He wore a precariously clean lab coat, and was eyeing Rin with a look of disdain on his face.

"Day two, and he still hasn't cooperated?" The man said stonily, looking at his equally unfazed companion. It was the same man that had dumped the holy water on Rin just hours previously, the one with the dirty blond hair. "You've obviously done something wrong—our methods are more efficient than that."

The new greasy haired character went closer to Rin, inspecting the evidence of small wounds on him: welts that hadn't fully disappeared, and the decently sized scab on his hand.

While he was inspecting the half demon, the holy water man spoke up for himself. "Well, he is a stubborn one, but we shou—"

He was cut off by cold, clipped words. "You've been torturing him? I told you that we were going to go straight to our newest method. Why cant anyone follow simple orders around here?"

"Dr. Bisheer—" The blonde male quivered for some unknown reason as his fellow scientist approached him calmly—but not a good type of calm. It was the air of calm a predator had while stalking its prey, and it set the poor scientist's nerves on fire.

"But don't worry, I'm not mad. Just do better next time, okay?" The oily haired man said in a incredibly fake, cheerful tone, and put one of his hands on the other man's shoulder, patting it reassuringly.

This seemed to relax the scientist, but his relief was short lived. Before he knew it, Dr. Bisheer had thrust a small dagger into his chest, twisting it slowly. He wore a sterile smile. "Just kidding!"

And the blonde scientist fell to the floor with a thump, choking on his own blood.

Bisheer turned to Rin, who was still swaying dangerously in his cuffs. He took note of the swampy veins with a disapproving tut. "He even managed to give him too much Wolfsbane."

And then, Bisheer had un-cuffed the immobile exwire, proceeding to drag him out of the white room. They went down many twisted hallways, with metal doors scattered along them. The artificial lighting made it even more clear just how windowless this facility was.

Before long, the duo arrived at a metal door labeled with warnings and signs that read, "Only Authorized Personnel Beyond this Point."

Inside, there was a team of scientists, sitting in front of computers with monitors and screens tracking all sorts of data. They kept glancing through a pane of one way glass, and what laid on the other side was slightly disturbing, to say the least.

The walls were stained many different shades of brown, and looked to be rough and grotty. A dark brown mist clouded the room, tendrils floating around and looking for something to grab at. A haunting vibe seemed to emanate from the mist's very core, and just being near it made the hair on the scientists' necks rise up.

Bisheer slapped on a gas mask before opening yet another door, this one more heavy duty than the first—it had numerous locks and was reinforced with even more metal plating. He dragged Rin in with him before closing the door behind him. Once the air lock, of sorts, was sealed, he opened another door of the same defensive quality, and the brown mist came chasing in the room. It's threads reached to wrap around their faces, traveling into their noses and mouths, but Bisheer's mask protected him. Rin, however, was not so lucky. His eyes rolled back in his head as the gas took hold of his limp form.

Bisheer left Rin in the middle of the room as he stepped yet again into the chamber, which began letting loose a very light spray of holy water. The mist recoiled, retreating back into the main room and allowing the door to close behind it. The holy water turned off as Bisheer stepped through the second padlocked door, closing it behind him and stripping his gas mask off.

"This session might last a little longer than usual—keep going until his veins are back to normal. The Wolfsbane needs to wear off just a bit, so our new experiment can actually open his eyes." And then, Dr. Bisheer took his very own seat at one of the main computers, content to sit back and watch the fun.

And that was when Rin starting spasming.

Word Count: 1043