Chapter 2

I woke up this morning feeling absolutely sick to my stomach. It was my first day going back to High School. I was all of 18 years old now. I'd be a senior. But the idea of going to school isn't what scared me. It was more so the idea of having to leave the confines of my home and interact with people. Isolation had become second nature in my life since Burkley.

I dragged myself out of bed, took a shower and dressed in my uniform:
-Burgundy Polo Shirt with the "Lakeshore High School" logo which was a picture of a white bird flying past a yellow sun with the initially LHS etched into it.
- Pleated Navy Blue Skirt
-Navy Blue socks folded at the ankle
-Black shoes.

Thought we weren't suppose to, I opted for Black Combat Ankle Boots. They took away from the prissy look of the uniform. My father, who had been oddly pleasant over the last two days of my return, dropped me off to school. I was fine with riding my bike but I think we both knew that if I did...I wouldn't make it to school.

I stood for a good ten minutes staring at the big iron cast gates of my school...their school at least, until I was forced to go in my a group of students charging toward the entrance. I walked slowly down the halls toward the office where I'd have get my schedule.

The receptionist was high on caffeine as she handed me a stack of papers with, "All you'll need for this semester."

I gave them a once over before taking it and heading out. I stopped to look at what my first class would be and that's when I got kicked in the gut (metaphorically of course). I saw something written on the paper that I just couldn't believe. I turned on my heels quickly and went back into the office.

"May I speak to the Principal please?" It was the first time I had heard my own voice a little while as I hadn't done much speaking. It sounded small and lacked distinguishable tone.

After 10 minutes of waiting I finally was able to go into see the Principal.

"Well, hello Miss Sinclair. Welcome back," he stood, a 5'4 man dressed sloppily in a suit that looked worn and tired....just as I felt.

I chose not to respond to his rehearsed pleasantry. Instead I got straight to the point, "Why is Abriana my guide?"

There it was, Abriana (the girl I went from being best friends with to having no communication at all with for years) was assigned to reintegrate me into school.

"Oh well I just remembered how close you two..." I cut him off.

"Well, we're not. Is there anyone else who can do it?" I knew I'd have to see her at school but I was in no mood to interact with her. I, deep down, loved her dearly...still...but I wasn't mentally or emotionally ready to face her.

"Well no one else has a similar enough schedule as yours Miss Sinclair so I'm afraid you'll just have to tough it out," he smiled apologetically.
_______________________________

After I left his office I went to the halls, bowed my head and exhaled rather dramatically.

"Tell me about it," it was her voice. HER.
I didn't dare look up. I was afraid the awful memories would turn from whispers to screams. I couldn't even speak.

After what seemed like forever she spoke again, "Listen Nicole, I've spent days trying to prepare myself for this and I still feel like I wanna throw up. I don't know what to say to you and I'm sure you don't know what to say to me so for both our sakes let's just get this guide over with."

I began walking, I could hear her following behind me. I hoped this would end sooner than I wanted my life to back then. (Parts of me still did). I had attended here before...I just needed to become familiar with classes. Hopefully this wouldn't require conversation.