Chapter 6

Rolan's P.O.V

I was surprised I was even able to teach my Human and Social Biology class today as in the very back of my classroom sat Nicole Sinclair...the love of my life, the women I was forced to abandon all those months ago.

I had been notified this morning that I'd have a new student joining me but didn't bother to look at my updated register as I had been so busy grading papers and trying to be the best Guidance Counsellor I could be. When I realized it was her some 15 minutes ago, my whole world came together and shattered all in one split second. Not only did I think I'd never see her again but I always held on to an unwavering hope that I would...which made this moment all the more surreal.

When I left Burkley, I didn't work for a long time. I figured I'd use this opportunity to spend some time with my daughter.

Abigail, my ex, had gotten a job at a new development in Lakeshore, a small town on the outskirts of California that existed like an unwanted growth. She found a nice place to live and I figured, for the sake of my child, I'd coexist with the she-devil.

I eventually got off my ass and, with  very few medical practices that offered psychological services, settled for a teaching gig at the local high school. It wasn't the environment I was use to but it allowed me to speak on my passions and very soon I also became the guidance counselor.

The name of this town did sound familiar upon moving here but I paid it no mind. Now I knew...this is where Nicole was from. The universe must have been trying to tell me something because this was just too much of a coincidence.

Here I stood now, with her arms wrapped around me, her warmth coiled into my own...making me feel like for all these months I was ice cold. I wanted to hug her back, to hold her in my arms and never let go but I know I couldn't. I couldn't get entangled in my emotions for her....especially now that I was going to be her teacher. I felt a churning inside me. No matter where we were in this life....something would always keep us apart.

I slowly backed away causing her arms to fall to her side. She stepped forward and slide her palms up my chest and over my shoulders. Fuck. I had spent the last couple of months forcing myself not to think about her...her touch, her smell...her. All the mental work I'd done on myself was starting to crumble.

I ran my palms over her arms until they rested on her wrists. We just stood like that, unmoving, panting, fighting ourselves, battling with right from wrong.

She eventually let out a sigh and let her arms fall, "I missed you."

I said nothing. I wouldn't...I couldn't.

The bell beckoned again signaling the official start of the next session. By now every student should be seated ready to start class. Luckily I didn't have another class during this period but I knew she did.

"You should get to class, Nicole," I said, my body still caving in on itself.

"Class can wait, Rolan. I missed you," she repeated the sentiment, urging me to say it back.

"I..." but I couldn't.

Disappointment washed over her eyes followed by a deep sigh of surrender.

Soon after, she was gone.