Chapter 8

Abriana stood in my doorway, unmoving. She looked into my poorly lit room with anguish apparent on her face. Rightfully so...the last time we were both in this space I was passed out on the floor.

We maintained our silence for what felt like forever. I was the one to speak first, "What are you doing here?"

She closed her eyes momentarily, as if holding back tears. She took a few steps forward, "Can I come in?"

I didn't say anything. I stood to flicker the lights on and pulled out the chair from my study desk, suggesting she sit there.

I could hear the cushion of the seat fill with weight as I walked back to the bed and took my own seat.

"What are you doing here?" I repeat.

"To talk," she mutters this as if still fighting with her choice to even come here.

"Go on then," I wasn't trying to be a bitch but between being back here and running into the love of my life who was now my teacher, I wasn't exactly in the best mood.

She hesitated a bit, twiddling her fingers and looking down at her lap. After a few moments, she finally began, "I know it didn't seem like it today but I'm glad you're back."

I didn't respond and my silence urged her to look up at me. When I maintained my quiet, she decided to continue, "I didn't stop being your friend because I wanted to. It killed me every single day knowing you were in that place and that you needed me and I wasn't fucking there."

"Your father threatened us to stay away..." I cut her off.

"I don't blame you. You don't have to explain," I also didn't want to hear it all. How my father cared more about making me miserable than anything else...I already knew.

"What I'm trying to say is I'm really fucking happy you're back and I love you. I know I was bitch today, I just don't know how to...." she trailed off, eyes bleeding salt water.

She sniffles and it turned into a laugh, "I'm such a fucking idiot...God!"

I couldn't help but smile, "You're not."

She wiped her eyes, "Your father has really laid off these past few months. He actually invited me here to talk to you. I mean I was gonna come anyway."

I pat the empty space next to me, signaling that she come over to sit. When she did, I leaned my head on her shoulder, "You finding me saved my life. I never said thank you."

It was with this her head then rested atop mine, "You don't owe me an apology. I'm the shitty friend.." I stopped her.

"You didn't have a choice. I know that. If I'm being honest, I would very much like to move on from everything that was and just start over."

"Right," she understood. Abriana always did understand. "If you ever decide you want to talk about it, I'm here."

"Does this mean we're best friends again?" I let out a small cackle.

She turns and hugs me really tightly and whispers, "We were always."

__________________________________